Calculate DP using two transmitters

Ones_Zeros

I have two pressure tansmitters installed on each side of a filter vessel.
Whats the best way to calculate the Differiential Pressure (DP)
across the vessel.

Can I just take the difference between the two transmitters?
P1 - P2 = DP

This seems to simple, but I was wanting to make sure on the calculation

Thanks,

That would be the way. Note that using a dedicated dp transducer us typically way more accurate than two gauge transducers.

Normally DP across a filter is measured in inches of water.
What is the range of your pressure transmitters? If not inches of water then as g.mccormick said this is not going to be very accurate.

Like the guys say, Differential pressure measurement is designed for DP. Subtracting one gage pressure reading from another can work OK if the readings and the difference are a good percentage of span.

There are mechanical DP gauges with (optional) switches (Midwest, Orange Research) and DP transmitters.

Years ago I actually saw two brand new, out-of-the-box 2" dial 0-60 PSI, 3% accuracy bourdon tube pressure gauges, one upstream, one downstream on a brand new filter. The gauge accuracy was technically ±1.8 psi (plus an undetermined amount of parallax)

With the new filter presumably dropping very little pressure the upstream gauge read on the low side at 42psi, the downstream gauge read on the high side 43 psi.
The differential calculation is "High side" minus "Low side" = 43 psi minus 42 psi = -1 psi, or reverse flow. It took awhile before there was enough pressure drop to indicate forward flow pressure drop.

Pressure transmitters are rated "percent full scale" accuracy, so if the readings/values are near the top of the scale, the accuracy is better because it is less as a percentage of the reading, than near the bottom of the scale where the error can approach the reading value itself, for instance, a pressure reading of 5 psi with a 1% accuracy transmitter ranged 0-500 gives a potential error of ±5 psi at 5 psi. An extreme example, but those are what the numbers shake out to.

You should calculate the transmitters' error at the expected pressure values and see how the plus and minus accuracy affects the readings you can expect.

Yeah both of these transmitters, the one before
The filter & one one after the filter will be
Programmed (in/H2O) & scaled (-250 to + 250)

I have these transmitters already installed
I was wanting to save some money &
Use these if it would work.

Do u think these would be accurate enough?

Thanks

What does the spec sheet for that make and model say the accuracy is?

Are you sure the range is compound vacuum and positive pressure?

Is ±250 inches wc the fixed range or is the range adjustable?

Is 250"wc (approximately 9 psi) higher than the line (static) pressure ? The pressure transmitter needs an upper range value higher than the applied pressure.

Last edited: