What to buy first

VasilisP

Hello to everyone!

I am a man of few words so here's the problem.

I am almost done from my studies on Electrical Engineering and i am eager to know more and more on PLC's.Because i believe that a practical approach is the best way to get better,i want to ask you what components of the PLC should i buy spesifically,in order to start programming a real PLC.And i want to buy the bare minimum because money is,sadly,limited.I tried to search on catalogues ( for example Siemens) but i get confused with the product names and codes !

Thanks in advance fellow plctalkers!

A few people on this forum don't agree with this, but you can always buy a raspberry pi, load the Codesys Runtime on it and program it with Codesys.
This should be, all in, under 60 euros with the limitation that the raspberry pi will only run the codesys system for 2 hours at a time.

If you want to practice on the electrical side of things with instrumentation and whatnot, you can look on ebay for used parts (every now and then someone posts a fair bit of stuff) and you can grab something from there fairly cheap.

I will backcardosocea on this one. EVERY PLC is different, has a different manual/methods/pitfall. It’s best to focus on the universal basics of programming/data handling/fieldbus. CoDeSys on a RasPi is the cheapest way to get you to a decent platform. It’s difficult without having a real application to learn and test from. I’m an AB guy and don’t really enjoy working in codesys, but see the value in it and know it VERY well.

The best thing to do is to get an entry level controls job and learn as many applications/platforms as possible. Chase the best work experience over the best money and/or work environment and you’ll be set after a few years.

I forgot to say that with the raspberry pi, making stuff move is a bit cheaper as one can wire up an LED instead of having to fork for a remote IO comms, remote IO module and power supply.

Isn't there a page on the forum with examples or exercises to do?
I guess a couple of applications would be the control of start stop pumps with a duty standby arrangement and automatic runtime hour levelling.
The tank level control.
The traffic lights application (bonus points if you make it in such a way that you can reuse the code for multiple traffic light sets.
Programming of the different types of process blocks such as VFD motor, Motor, Valve, 3 way valve, etc...

Dear VasislisP,
I've hears others suggest 'Click' PLC's for a cheap alternative to get practical experience.

https://www.automationdirect.com/ad...lers/CLICK_Series_PLCs_(Stackable_Micro_Brick)

One can also wire in any sort of pushbutton or sensor for inputs and wire in LEDs (with appropriate limiting resistor) for visible output indicators. (As already suggested.)

I believe there are also some complete software solutions - everything; I/O plus a simulated PLC is done inside a computer. (Some free.)

But I like the idea of getting that hands on experience - wiring up the hardware and the I/O and creating a program. And doing it relatively inexpensively is within reach.
Poet.

I'm betting more then pocket change that Mark will have something to say.

https://www.plccable.com/plc-trainers-kits/

Thanks Bob!

Poet, one issue with that would be getting the PLC in Greece so it would be very limited

VasilisP, I would look on ebay or there are a some good suppliers in EU that have 1200 kits... they are not cheap but neither was your education, you need to learn something that will help you a lot in the future when you go to a interview and TIA with a 1200 is the best thing for you.

Cardosocea and myself have had discussions about the Raspberry and if you want to get one of them also I think it would be a great idea they are cheap but I would not just have one of them only... they are great for additional education but for your primary learning talk to your local Siemens dealer, maybe you can work for them as a intern or get a part time job then then they will help with the cost, this would also be a great way to step into the wonderfull world of automation

Best of luck
Mark