RS Logix 500

randy

Supporting Member
I recently upgraded my laptop’s hard drive and memory. I also installed Windows 2000 Professional. I re-installed all my PLC programs including RS Logix 500 and RS Linx’s. Everything seemed to be fine until I tried to upload a program from the SLC 500. It instantly shut down the complete RS Logix and the RS Linx program. Before I get heavily into resolving this problem, is this anything to do with Windows 2000 Professional? Or can anybody help to point me in the right direction?

Randy

I'm running RSLogix 500 on Windows2000 Pro. I do computer stuff for a living (service, support, and programming) and in my opinion, Windows2000 is unMicros**tesque in it's stability. In my experience, it's the most stable windows OS there is. Now if your installation was an upgrade from some other OS, those are never "nice." You might want to check your laptop manufacturer's web site and see if there are any known issues w/ Win2k. Problems like what you've mentioned are usually obscure software conflict problems (and this is more likely the case if you aren't experiencing other problems with the machine.) Unfortunately, those are also sometimes the hardest to troubleshoot, since you don't get an error message when it nicely shuts down. You can try going thru uninstalling and reinstalling the Rockwell software (no, you don't expect it to "magically" fix it, but sometimes it does.) If that doesn't work, and it's likely it won't, you might want to try uninstalling other software that could be conflicting. Good luck, I -hate- those extremely annoying hard-to-troubleshoot problems.

-Don

I hope you did move your activation to a floppy. I think you can run rs logix 500 with the original master disc inserted into your a; drive. I've had a simular problem with windows me. I dumped rs logix and linx and re-installed them. The problem went away.

I have to agree with those who posted before me:

Windows2000 is VERY stable (I wonder if Microsoft contracted someone else to write this OS...). I've had no trouble running RSLogix or RSLinx on my laptop (HP Pavilion N5350) under Windows2000 Pro.

WindowsME is a lousy OS for running Allen Bradley software. I had to reinstall things to get them working and there were programs that were incompatible with that operating system (RSLogix 5000, for example). I had the same kinds of crashes you're talking about when I was using WindowsME.

You're probably looking at a problem that can be solved by downloading the lastest versions of your software and device drivers. If your laptop was not preloaded with Windows2000, you might want to double-check your hardware compatability.

You should know the drill: Hit Ctrl-Alt-Del to shut down any programs you don't need, check your hardware profile for conflicts...

Good Luck,
AK

MAKE SURE YOUR RS LOGIX IS THE MOST UP TO DATE. IF YOU ARE USING A PIC CHECK THE DRIVER. LAST I LOOKED AB DID NOT HAVE A DRIVER FOR THE PIC IN WINDOWS 2000. THAT WAS A WHILE AGO IT MAY HAVE CHANGED. I RUN WINDOWS 98 FOR RS LOGIX AND 2000 FOR EVERYTHING ELSE.

RS Logix

Yes, moving the activation key or in Siemens terms “Authorization Key” was the first thing that I did. I move it from my c: drive back to the floppy disk… I already went down that path once before.

I think I will contact Allen-Bradley tomorrow

Thanks for the Input.

Win2000 software issues

I'd also suggest installing the latest Win2000 Service Pack from Micro$oft.
Also try inspecting your computer's System / Application Logs with the Event Viewer (Computer Management).

Remain calm. All is well. Do not panic.

It *might* be this; there can be a "first run" conflict between RSLogix 500 and Microsoft Office 2000. Usually the fix is to install MS Office SR-1A service release. There are several RSI Knowledgebase documents about that.

If you don't have MS Office, you might still want to try installing Win2K service packs. Some RSI products check for SP2 and won't install unless it's there, and I always install at least SP2.

After that.... well, give RSI a call.

Check your RS Linx. I'm running ver 2.31. I have Win2000 with SP3 and it is running fine. I have heard of Win2000 problems with earlier versions of RS linx.