GE Fanuc 90-30 no communiction on PSU Serial Port

Hi all, got a nice problem here. Got a fanuc 90-30 in a plastic molding machine that got wrecked by a 600V surge though a faulty SSR. We replaced a temperature control module, a motion control and and input card that were damaged, and now, after restoring the cpu program from a backup, and clearing the fault table, I was able to get it in run mode, no fault. My problem is, I can communicate using the CPU serial port, but i'm unable to do so using the Power supply serial port. It's a major problem, because the HMI use both port to communicate with the PLC. I tried switching for a spare power supply, without any result. Might the CPU be faulty even if it seem to run ? Or maybe the backplate ?

Thanks.

Ok, lil update here. I removed all the cards one by one, each time trying to communicate thru the power supply, then unplugged the extension. With only the power supply and the CPU, i'm still unable to communicate. I then tried with a backplate from another machine, but it still doesnt work. I guess my CPU is the problem.

I'll be following this thread.!

I just put in and configured a HE693SNP940D on a 90/30.
I was hoping to be able to monitor the complete controller function in action even though the operator ties up the SNP port.

First pass with the LM90 returns "No Communication with controller".

It could be the module, 'no history with it...

I'm reading GFK 0582 now ;-)

I'll be following this thread.!

I just put in and configured a HE693SNP940D on a 90/30.
I was hoping to be able to monitor the complete controller function in action even though the operator ties up the SNP port.

First pass with the LM90 returns "No Communication with controller".

It could be the module, 'no history with it...

I'm reading GFK 0582 now ;-)
You should have started a new thread instead of hijacking this one.
That manual will not help for your problem. Go to www.heapg.com and get the manual for your Horner module.

You need to update your software to Proficy ME. :)

Last edited:
Ok, lil update here. I removed all the cards one by one, each time trying to communicate thru the power supply, then unplugged the extension. With only the power supply and the CPU, i'm still unable to communicate. I then tried with a backplate from another machine, but it still doesnt work. I guess my CPU is the problem.

Verify that the power supply has 5VDC on pin 5. It is used by the protocol converter built into most programming cables.
What CPU is in your system?

Last edited:
Hi all, got a nice problem here. Got a fanuc 90-30 in a plastic molding machine that got wrecked by a 600V surge though a faulty SSR. We replaced a temperature control module, a motion control and and input card that were damaged, and now, after restoring the cpu program from a backup, and clearing the fault table, I was able to get it in run mode, no fault. My problem is, I can communicate using the CPU serial port, but i'm unable to do so using the Power supply serial port. It's a major problem, because the HMI use both port to communicate with the PLC. I tried switching for a spare power supply, without any result. Might the CPU be faulty even if it seem to run ? Or maybe the backplate ?

Thanks.
I would like to know why an HMI would use more than one serial port.
Does the HMI use 485 or 323?

Details may help...

Thanks for the replies.

The HMI use one port to communicate data and value with the PLC (machine setting, position, temperature and pressure reading etc) while the other one is used for input (start, stop, etc, got a lot of button on those beast). I dont know if it use 485, i'm not on the job right now, i'll have a look asap. I'll check the 5Vdc on pin 5 too, but i'm pretty sure it should be ok, since i tried another power supply ...

Yes, one of the HMI is computer-based, a Xycom Automation model 9960, the other a push-button pannel. I dont have much information on the communication between the 9960 and the PLC, but it does seem to be using 485. Also, i have 5Vdc on pin 5. The power supply is a IC693PWR330F and the cpu is a IC693CPU351-HT.

Anyway, my boss told me he got some PLC-expert to come on monday, so we might be able to pin-point the problem. I'll let you all know what we find.

Thanks again !

It looks like you have Proficy ME or some form of GE-IP programming software.
If you can communicate to the PLC through the power supply port with it, there is nothing wrong with the PLC port. Open the PLC program and you can look in the hardware configuration to see what if any parameters were changed on any of the serial ports.
The CPU351 has two additional serial ports, you can get details of the cables needed for those ports here: Serial Comm Cables
Port 1 which is RS-232 only uses the cable IC693CBL316 which is easy to make from the link above.

For information on the CPU go here:
DO651: IC693CPU351 - Series 90-30 CPU

Have you verified that the comm ports on the computer or operator panel were not damaged?

Last edited:
Well, im using LM90 v6.01, which is all we have here, but since our machines were built in the 90s, it has never been an issue. Im pretty sure its a PLC problem, since the programming laptop, the computer-based HMI and the button-panel are all able to communicate using the CPU 485 port, but not with the power supply port.

Last edited:
Since you have replaced every thing except the CPU, it seems safe to conclude that the problem is in the CPU. It appears that somehow the connection from the CPU module through the backplane to the power supply port is broken.

I once lost the RS485 port a CPU363 module due to a blown fuse. The fuse was soldered onto the daughter board. I don't know whether or not there is a similar fuse protecting the path to the power supply port. If there is, I would expect it to be on the mother board.

Might the CPU be faulty even if it seem to run ?

Thanks.

The UART for the serial port could have very easily been damaged by the surge. Pop the board out of the CPU case (once you get your replacement in first, of course) and trace back the serial lines (if possible) to the motherboard. That and look for char marks, chips that have blown apart, blown traces, etc.

some news

Ok guys, sorry its been so long, it was kinda rock n'roll around here lately. We finally figured it out, the back plate, cpu and temperature control were all defective, even if the PLC managed to get to run without any faults. The HMI was damaged too, tried it on another machine, couldnt get it to communicate. So, a pretty expensive grounded wire ...

Thanks all for your help.

Fanuc IC693CPU351-HT

Hi every one , I have index injection machine and I have lost plc program from the registers , so now I have the plc program on floppy disk but I didn't have LM 90 software to do the restore, any ideas plz my line now stop