Omron Programmable Terminal

I don't want to worry you but we have had a couple of instances where the coms have failed on the processor, in our case both times it seems to have taken out the HMI coms as well. I spent hours checking cables trying to go on-line etc. then noticed around the dip switches some black soot, say no more.
In both cases the systems were working fine then they were switched off & never worked again. Not saying this is your problem but it may be worth a check with a magnifying glass.

I now have a new issue. The electrician powered the system down for 2 days and I can no longer connect to the PLC, like I did before. I fear the battery may have died and wiped the memory. I do have a back-up of the original however, it will not allow me to go online with it to even download it.

1. Power system down. Both the PA204 power supply and the CS1G processor have a single phillips screw (each) holding them into the rack. (at the bottom)
Are they tight?
Loosen screws, pivot the power supply and the processor away from the rack at the bottom. Ensure all connecting pins look clean and straight.
Reinstall.

2. Lites out on PLC could just indicate PLC is in Program, see below. Could also indicate PA204 power supply is bad.

3. Best way to connect CXP is the Peripheral port. Ensure switch 4 is off.

4. Dead battery does not stop the ability to connect to the PLC.

5. The fact you have no error lites is a good thing.

6. Prevent battery issues from causing loss of program by installing a CF memory card. At each power up, program gets uploaded to PLC. Saves rung and bit comments as well!!

Hope this helps

CPU Lites.JPG CPU errors by lites.JPG

3. Best way to connect CXP is the Peripheral port. Ensure switch 4 is off.

The Omron tech support rep is the one that suggested this. Does this require a second cable, same as when I connect to the NT's? I have the CN22-EU cable and connecting to the port that the NTH-25 normally connects to. Nothing eventful has happened to the PLC. It was simply powered off, then back on after a couple of days.

Did you cycle power on the processor after you set dip switch?

I was reading something from a different post that I was supposed to turn switch 5 on and switch 4 off, to use the DB9 port. The tech didn't mention turning switch 4 off. Going to try this.

I am starting to suspect something else might be wrong, other than the CPU. Although my Omron experience is limited, it seems to me that my input LED's that were previously on, are no longer lit, nor is the LED for my motion card, should still be on. All of the power for this comes from the backplane, right?

Last edited:
Since the electrician has been in this cabinet and won't admit to anything that he did (even though I now have a scalped wire on my 3-phase coming in that wasn't there before) I have to assume anything is possible, as far as wiring changes that may have been made.