Cognex Vision systems to see a Lot Number such as 123456789,and send to CompactLogix

Rob S.

Good Afternoon,

I used Cognex Insight several years ago for measuring. I'm looking for a Cognex to see a Lot Number on a cardboard case , with plastic on it , and send it to a CompactLogix to compare to a entered number on a HMI .

What model Cognex would I use ? Would it be difficult to set up ?

Thanks so much ,

What model Cognex would I use ? Would it be difficult to set up ?

One way to get accurate and reliable answers to your questions is to invite a Cognex representative to your facility (or take samples to them), for a demonstration of the appropriate camera/optics/lighting to meet the specific requirements of your application. In my region, they are very willing to do this, as are their competitors.

Just wondering . We have a huge fix up. An integrator was thinking that we needed a Cognex DataMan to pickup barcode , but we need a Insight maybe to pickup Lot Numbers . Now they are saying that the price going to way up..

So it is really a big difference between the two ?

Huge difference between a Dataman and Insight.

Exact Insight model will depends on speed, lighting required, and size of the target. Your local rep or your integrator can take care of that.

The good thing is that all of the cameras set up the same way when it comes to exchanging info with the PLC via AOI. There's some good example programs on the Cognex site if you search around a bit, I know for sure there's one for your exact scenario since it's fairly common. I also believe there's examples in the Insight manual if you install InSight Explorer on your PC.

+1 to Jesper's post, as it would provide the most robust solution.

Without the barcode for the lot, you'll need OCR capability on the camera, and that's where the expense comes in.

We use both the dataman and the insight units.

*If* you aren't bound by a regulatory requirement to verify the human readable, Go with the barcode solution. Way less trouble.

That said, The insight cameras do a fine job of pulling a lot number off, in our case patches, and pushing them over to a control system. You can do a comparison against a provided lot number right in the camera(read and verify) or push the read characters back to your control system and do the verification there.

True, but then you will get 25 emails a week from them saying "Hey, im in your area next week, could we set up a time to meet"

That's more Keyence for me. Download a manual and you'll get non-stop harassment for a year asking about your "application." We're a systems integrator and I keep getting emails from them thinking we're a manufacturer and how they can help us with our "process." It actually makes me not want to use them.

I have used Cognex for years and have never received unwanted emails from them. I called our local rep. and showed him our application, got his quote, and he even helped set it up for us and gave a little training to us. after that, we could call him for any serious issues.
james