toggle tag in controllogix using factorytalk - using no buttons

halverst

I'm new to the forum and would like to say thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me. I'm relatively new to plcs but have a strong background in computers so I know what I want to do just not the best way to do it. So I apologize if this is a dumb question.

My set up:
I have a slc-500 in our waste water treatment plant and a newly installed control logix in our main building, along many others but the control logix is all I'm working with now. We use factorytalk as our hmi and a keps server to pass data from the different plcs to the factorytalk server. Rs linx is used to communicate between the factorytalk server and control logix.

My problem:
On our hmi screen there is a panel that displays a warning when a divert valve in the wwtp becomes activated. The keps server passes the tag value from the slc-500 to the factorytalk server. When the valve opens the panel becomes visible then goes invisible when the valve is closed. I would like to toggle a bool tag in the control logix when the panel becomes visible.Then use this bool as a trigger for output to a horn on the production floor.

I played around for awhile with animations in factorytalk to toggle this bit but couldn't find a way. Using a button I can but I want it to toggle automatically when the panel becomes visible.

I figure I can use a vba script to do this but I'm guessing there is a another way to accomplish this through factorytalk.

What model of SLC do you have, it may be better to pass the bit directly from the SLC to the CLX and bypass the HMI. This would be my choice, if the two are on the same communication network.

+1 for this.
What model of SLC do you have, it may be better to pass the bit directly from the SLC to the CLX and bypass the HMI. This would be my choice, if the two are on the same communication network.

Routing things through the HMI server will not make you any friends on the night shift. Or day shift for that matter. :rolleyes:

Bubba.

I agree as well. You prefer to have this action work regardless of whether the HMI is powered on or off. But should you decide to do it through the HMI then the Events in FT View SE can do what you are looking for.

You configure an event to monitor the same condition that makes the panel visible. Then you configure the action to take when the event is True.

Tagname == 1.

Don't forget to configure a second event with the False action as well to turn the bit back off. It won't just automatically turn the bit back off without that event.

Save your event file (one Event file can store 1,000 events). Events must be started using the EventOn command. "EventOn MyEvent". If you need to make any changes, you have to turn off that event file and then turn it back on. "EventOff MyEvent".

In the HMI Properties you can define what event file to start when the HMI powers up.

OG

It's a SLC 500 5/05. I agree that communicating straight from one processor to another is best and is my final plan, something about the network is preventing this currently. Using the HMI as an intermediary is meant to be a short term solution until I can things worked out with our It department. So just need something easy to and then undo.I'll try setting up an event to handle this on Monday. Thanks guys.

Should be really easy to setup a message read in the CLX.

FYI: if at all possible, always do MSG reads as opposed to to write. Especially when working with older processors like a SLC.

If you find it necessary to route through the HMI. Be a kind person and document where the data is coming from in the CLX. If you havnt already start a spreadsheet or something to document all signal exchanges. So in a couple years when you have issues, or the next guy has issues, you/they can track down the exchange easily.