RSLogix 5000 and offline program changes uploading data ?

antsrealm

Hi,

Basically what I wanted to know was, if it is possible to do this ...

I have a program for a machine running compact logix gear and I upload all the recent data on Monday for eg. Then I go back to the office and make program changes to the code nothing to serious but the logic does change. Then between Monday and Friday when I go to download the new code the operators have changed values etc via the HMI and I would like to upload the data in the current registers and apply that to my offline program before downloading it. That way when it finishes the download and fires up again it has the latest data entries from the operators that week.

Can this be done and if yes how ??

Thank you,
Tony.

Not sure if you can upload your tag values and apply to an offline project, I have never heard of it being done.

You could open your offline code with your new changes in one instance of RsLogix. Open another instance with the live online code, save and upload tags.
Then just copy and paste new logic and new tags into the live code and download.

This is usually what I do.

Yeah that's not a bad idea BigEndian. I might do that. Just thought I'd check to see if there was a method I hadn't heard of.

Not used it myself, but won't the Tag Upload Download Tool do what you want.

Reading the help it says you can use the tool to upload tag values to the PC prior to downloading an offline file, then download the tag values you saved back again.

If I'm trying to preserve just a few big tables or arrays, I use the Tag Upload/Download Tool.

It's especially handy if you have recipes or calibration tables that need to be preserved. It handles large arrays gracefully, but a little slowly.

If the HMI and process save data all over the place, I choose the opposite method and either do online edits or XML routine imports.

If I'm trying to preserve just a few big tables or arrays, I use the Tag Upload/Download Tool.

It's especially handy if you have recipes or calibration tables that need to be preserved. It handles large arrays gracefully, but a little slowly.

If the HMI and process save data all over the place, I choose the opposite method and either do online edits or XML routine imports.

Thanks Ken and others.

I found and installed the tag upload download tool onto my 32 bit windows 7 laptop. However I get the following error when the application loads....

"Error429 ActiveX component can't create object"

Any ideas why this is happening? The program still starts but wont show any of the OPC connections.

Thanks,
Tony.

What version and flavour of RSLinx are you using. I'm convinced the Tag U/D Tool won't work with "Lite", since the app needs to create OPC topics.

In Windows 7, RSLinx can't be run "as a service".

Make sure it is running before you launch the Tag U/D Tool.

Apart from that I don't know anything else about the error you are getting.

Yeah it's up and running I even created the OPC topic or whatever it is in RSlinx but the error occurs after I click the accept button when I start the tag program. Is it something to do with a dll. I saw there was a DLL file I could download but not sure what to do with it ?

You should at least download the DLL and register it, since one cause of the error is:
"A DLL required by the object can't be used, either because it can't be found, or it was found but was corrupted."
This is from :
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa231060(v=vs.60).aspx
(I googled "error 429 activex component can't create object access windows 7"
Place the file in C:\Windows\System32, then at a command prompt run "regedt32 C:\Windows\System32\<filename>.DLL"
it will either succeed or fail - no way of knowing until you try it ...

Thanks for the idea dantomega but that fails with an error saying "cannot import C:\windows\system32\RsiOPCAuto.dll the specified file is not a registry script. You can only import binary registry files from within the registry editor.

Thanks,
Tony.