IAB and CAD diagram

ceilingwalker

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello all. Is there a feature in AB IAB that would allow me to take my rack and import it as a dxf or dwg to my AutoCAD layout? I checked KB but couldn't find anything pertaining to that. I do have the users manual but again, I couldn't find anything. It wouldn't surprise me if I missed it in the manual though. Thank you

Hi,

I will start by saying that I do not use IAB for planning a project.

Having said that, when I have selected an A-B part (rack, drive, power supply etc) I go to the Product Configuration page (https://raise.rockwellautomation.com/raconfig/browsecatalog.asp) and type in the part number(s) - this will then take me to another page where I can download the CAD files (2d as dwf, 3d as STEP model).

I then unzip and import the STEP model into AutoCAD

Hi,

I will start by saying that I do not use IAB for planning a project.

Having said that, when I have selected an A-B part (rack, drive, power supply etc) I go to the Product Configuration page (https://raise.rockwellautomation.com/raconfig/browsecatalog.asp) and type in the part number(s) - this will then take me to another page where I can download the CAD files (2d as dwf, 3d as STEP model).

I then unzip and import the STEP model into AutoCAD

Thank you for the info. I just thought it would be cool if I could convert my layout to a 2D diagram that I could import into my cabinet layout in AutoCAD. I am currently going one-by-one.

Hey all -

I'm looking at IAB and wondering the same thing as the OP. Has anyone worked this out yet? (Getting from IAB to DWG in any way, shape or form?)

There is a new feature that was demonstrated during last Automation Fair, that allows to export IAB, Logix (V32) or Architect file into the RDF format and run it through the RA supplied Data Adapter. This will generate 2-D AutoCAD Electrical panel drawings and basic I/O schematics for all modules. User still needs to attach all I/O points to modules.
As far as I know, Data Adapter should be released soon.
There is a similar conversion already available for EPLAN using AutomationML format.

There is a new feature that was demonstrated during last Automation Fair, that allows to export IAB, Logix (V32) or Architect file into the RDF format and run it through the RA supplied Data Adapter. This will generate 2-D AutoCAD Electrical panel drawings and basic I/O schematics for all modules. User still needs to attach all I/O points to modules.
As far as I know, Data Adapter should be released soon.
There is a similar conversion already available for EPLAN using AutomationML format.

Thanks for that! I'll have to keep an eye out for the release announcement.

On similar topic, does anyone know if it is possible to export IAB into Logix hardware configuration?

PaulB.

On similar topic, does anyone know if it is possible to export IAB into Logix hardware configuration?

PaulB.

You'd need a way to get it from an exported format to .L5X to make it importable. I don't know what steps get you there, though. :confused:

Thanks for that! I'll have to keep an eye out for the release announcement.

The Studio 5000 Data Adapter Tool v 1.00.00 is available for download.

Data Adapter is a free tool that enables auto generation of two dimensional PLC/IO footprint and schematic drawing content in AutoCAD Electrical from previously configured RA devices in Studio 5000 Architect (v3/v4) or Logix Designer (v32)

The Studio 5000 Data Adapter Tool v 1.00.00 is available for download.

Data Adapter is a free tool that enables auto generation of two dimensional PLC/IO footprint and schematic drawing content in AutoCAD Electrical from previously configured RA devices in Studio 5000 Architect (v3/v4) or Logix Designer (v32)

Thanks! I'll have to try this out.🍻