Control logix 5550 software?Version of Rs logix 5000

Engrtalha

Hello guys!
I have control logix 5550 series program but i m unable to open program on RS logix 5000 v20.0 .kindly suggest me exact version of rs logix which is compatible with 5550 series cpu .
Thanks

kindly suggest me exact version of rs logix which is compatible with 5550 series cpu .

it could be any version out of many ... most 1756 processors can support a range of several different versions ...

if all that you have available is the offline project file (.ACD extension) try opening it with Windows Notepad ... there should be a "header" list at the top of the file which shows each time that the file has been saved - and what version of software was used to save it ... the LAST item on the list should tell you what revision of RSLogix5000 that you need to open the file ...

IMPORTANT! ... do NOT save the file when you exit Notebook ... that could corrupt the file and make it useless ...

Last edited:
Just to clarify, in case you are not so sure...

5550 is a family catalog number of which there is only one member, the ControlLogix 5550 1756-L1 controller.

The Software Version of RSLogix 5000 required is dependent on the Firmware Revision that the controller's processor is currently flashed to. This dependency is known as Lock Stepping. The Major revision number of the firmware (rX.x) that the processor is currently flashed to, and the Major version number of RSLogix 5000 software (vX.x) must match i.e. be Lock Stepped.

Example:

1756-L1 processor flashed to Firmware Revision r13.40

Requires RSLogix 5000 v13.04

Although, in this example, the two numbers in their entirety may look quite similar, they are not to be confused as being the same. Firmware revisions and software versions are only released to match at the Major number. The Minor number of firmware (rx.X) and software (vx.X) released can be anything, either the same or entirely different.

Also, the firmware available for a processor may be released at various Minor revisions under the same Major revision number. So you could have say, firmware r13.20 and r13.40 available for the same processor. Both of which would be supported using RSLogix 5000 v13.04.

Although in RSLogix 5000, or indeed in RSLinx Classic, a processor's firmware may be displayed as a Major.Minor number (example: 13.40), firmware revisions are actually released to a third level - the Sub Minor level. This is represented by a second delimiter followed by the Sub Minor number (example: 13.40.00). The Sub Minor number, also known as the Build number, is not always displayed or referenced in text and software. But when it is, it may be confusing to decipher, depending on the format chosen...

Example:

Firmware Revision 7.10.01 may be referenced as 7.10, 7.10.1, 7.010.001, depending on where a user is looking.

Technically, RSLogix 5000/Logix Designer software versions are also released including a Sub Minor number, but this number is next to never incremented above .00, so it is not as important and seldom referenced. You will, however, notice that the .00 Sub Minor number is displayed when you view the Version history under Help>About RSLogix 5000.

I am only making these points as users often have to reference these numbers from different sources and it can become very confusing, very quickly.

But, for the purposes of this thread, we need only concern ourselves with the Major number of the firmware revision and software version...

The 1756-L1 is the oldest and first ControlLogix processor. It supports firmware revisions from r1.81 up to r13.40. So, in theory, the software version of RSLogix 5000 you may require here could be any version between v1.x up to v13.x.

So, if we now go back to the original question of which firmware revision the 1756-L1 processor is currently at, so as to figure out which version of RSLogix 5000 software is required...

Besides "knowing" all of the above, which you may or may not find important, there is a "built-in" feature of the RSLogix 5000 software for identifying the firmware revision within a project that a user is attempting to open on a workstation that does not have supported software installed.

As you may or may not be aware, which ever version of RSLogix 5000 software was last used on a workstation is the same version that will open the next time you attempt to open the software. With that in mind...

If you have RSLogix 5000 v20.01 installed, and let's say no other versions installed, and you are attempting to open a 1756-L1 controller project, which we know can only be opened with v13.04 at the latest, then the software will begin to open v20.01 and then read the project ACD file automatically so as to access the same information that Ron has outlined. Once the software has read in the project file's firmware revision, it should then prompt the user, stating the revision the project is configured for, and that support for this revision is currently not installed...

Required_Software_Version_Not_Installed.bmp

This prompt should display whether you attempt to open the project file itself, or you attempt to open the project file from within already opened software.

So, when you say...

Engrtalha said:
...i m unable to open program on RS logix 5000 v20.0...

...what exactly do you mean by "unable"? Do you get the above prompt, or any prompt?

What I'm not 100% sure of is if much older versions of the software saved the project ACD file in a manner that permits this auto revision check when being opened in newer versions? It is possible that a very old version (pre v10) is required here and does not facilitate this? I just cannot remember back that far?

Do let us know, either way.

Regards,
George

Last edited:
I have found it as when opening .acd file in v20.0 it is showing your original program is of version 7.2 and similarly when open it on NotePad it is showing v 6.01

2001-07-12 19:25:07.816: File Creation
2001-07-12 19:25:07.947: Saved - V6.01.00/3014
2001-07-12 19:25:12.613: Saved - V6.01.00/3014
2001-07-12 19:25:13.294: Saved - V6.01.00/3014
2001-07-12 19:25:13.685: Saved - V6.01.00/3014
2001-07-12 19:39:25.520: Saved - V6.01.00/3014
2001-07-12 19:39:40.411: Saved - V6.01.00/3014
2001-10-25 18:42:20.029: Saved - NB_INT_OCT00_051/3016
2001-10-25 18:43:14.768: Saved - NB_INT_OCT00_051/3016
2001-11-08 12:35:33.632: Saved - NB_INT_OCT00_051/3016
V E R S I O N I N F O R M A T I O N :

Class Version
=====================================================
RxAExecutionModel 0
RxAFBD_Block 0
RxAFBD_LanguageElement 0
RxANamelessObject 0
RxASCIIDriver 3
RxATestPODbConversion 0
RxAxis 5
RxAxisCollection 0
R***T 2
RxConnectionCollection 0
RxConnectorGroupCollection 0
RxController 17
RxControllerCollection 0
RxDF1Driver 5
RxData 9
RxDataCollection 0
RxDataType 35
RxDataTypeCollection 0
RxDbDataSetFileVersion 3016
RxDbDataSetVersion 7
RxDeviceObj 2

I have found it as when opening .acd file in v20.0 it is showing your original program is of version 7.2 and similarly when open it on NotePad it is showing v 6.01...

The prompt, which we now know you are getting, is indicating a revision 7.2 firmware for the processor in the project file. Not version! This is what you should be concentrating on. The ACD file, as viewed in Notepad, is indicating that the project was previously saved using software version 6.01, but this was not the last version used to make a save...

2001-10-25 18:42:20.029: Saved - NB_INT_OCT00_051/3016
2001-10-25 18:43:14.768: Saved - NB_INT_OCT00_051/3016
2001-11-08 12:35:33.632: Saved - NB_INT_OCT00_051/3016

Unfortunately, the last three saves do not transparently divulge the software version that was being used at those timestamps. However, the build number 3016 is displayed. Software build number 3014 represents v6.01, whereas software build number 3016 represents v7.02. There was also a v7.00 release of RSLogix 5000 and this is build 3015.

If you also refer to the Class Version and specifically to the last three entries you have posted...

RxDbDataSetFileVersion 3016
RxDbDataSetVersion 7
RxDeviceObj 2

Here you can see the Class Object values for...

Software build number - 3016
Software major number - 7
Software minor number - 2

So this tells us that the ACD file is currently saved as a v7.02 project.

When you open the file you are getting the prompt that the controller is configured for revision 7.2. This is the firmware revision that the processor was configured for at the time the project file was saved. This is, again, not to be confused as being the software version. The software version required is v7.02.

You have now started another thread looking for a source for both v6.2 and v7.2 of RSLogix 5000. You do not need both.

Frstly, it is v6.01 of RSLogix 5000, not v6.2. Secondly, it is not v6.01 that you require. You are going off the last entry in the ACD that displays v6.01, but this is not the most recent save.

The prompt clearly tells you the controller is at firmware revision 7.2 and so will require v7.x of RSLogix 5000. Thirdly, it is v7.02 of RSLogix 5000 that you require, and not v7.2. Again, the all too often seen confusion and mix ups between firmware revisions and software versions.

The major number you get at that prompt is the most easiest and accurate way to know which software major number you require. As there was two versions of RSLogix 5000 software released at major number 7.x, namely v7.00 & v7.02, either of these versions would be able to open your project. But, I would advise you to use the "newer" v7.02, if possible.

I cannot break it down for you much more than that. The advice given in the other thread about contacting Rockwell Automation or an RA Vendor to procure a copy of RSLogix 5000 v7.02 is sound. Your valid license for RSLogix 5000, assuming that you have one, should entitle you to an older copy. Something I'm sure they will more than facilitate you with, should you contact them.

Just be mindful of the fact that these older versions were in existence long before newer Windows Operating Systems and certainly 64-bit versions thereof. You may be able to install a pre v10 version in Windows 7 64-bit, for instance, but there are no guarantees that it will perform as expected. Windows XP 32-bit would be a more surer bet, whether on a host system or via virtualization.

Good luck.

Regards,
George

Last edited:
Geospark said:
You may be able to install a pre v10 version in Windows 7 64-bit, for instance...

The earliest version that will install on Windows 7, 64 bit is v13. Previous revisions will not even allow you to attempt the installation.

I have v10 through v19 on an XP 32 bit VM working fine; I'm not sure whether XP will handle any earlier versions as I do not have the installation files to check.

Versions! Not Revisions!...

I'll drum that into all ye lot yet! Hehe.

It's been so long since I've attempted to install anything older than v13 that I could not remember what is or is not supported under Windows 7 64-bit. I just remembered there being some issues with compatibility for the older versions. Not being able to install pre v13 in that OS would certainly be such an issue!

I didn't bother looking it up because I didn't know what OS our friend might be using. I was just surmising a situation where they might be using Windows 7 and "worse" still, a 64-bit Edition at that.

I'll have to double check tomorrow, but I do have v10 and v8 installed on at least one of my workstations. Which OS they are running under escapes me at the moment, but something tells me that at least one of them might be running under Windows 7 64-bit? But if what you are saying is strictly true, then I must be mistaken?

I'll get back to you on that one...

G.

I'd be interested to find out! I mean, there may be a way to trick it into running the installer on W7 64 bit - perhaps running the installer in compatibility mode, or something - but I never really lost any sleep over it, seeing as VM's make all those problems much less worrisome these days! :)

Geospark said:
Versions! Not Revisions!...
I'll drum that into all ye lot yet! Hehe.

Dang it! I was even being careful to use "version" rather than "revision", but one slipped through the net! Surely best two of three gets me at least a passing grade? :ROFLMAO:

ASF said:
...Surely best two of three gets me at least a passing grade?...

Result: Pass

Note: Could do better

I'm sorry to say but your knowledge of "version" usage will require some more "revision"...or is that less "revision"? :unsure:

Test Results are in!...

I have all of the "RSLogix 5000 Enterprise Series" versions installed, from v10 thru v20, in Windows 7 64-bit...
Windows_7_64-bit_RSLogix_5000_Older_Versions.bmp

I actually have those versions installed in VMware for proper usage, but just tried installing them in the Host OS on this workstation some time ago, just to see.

I don't have v8 installed on the workstations here but one workstation is not at my disposal just now that might have it installed?

It could be that it's the pre v10 "RSLogix 5000" versions that will not install in this OS?

I sort of know what's "Officially Supported" for this software and this OS. I'm more talking about what will actually install and open, regardless of "Official Support", or not.

So the jury is out for now on the pre v10 installers until I or another can confirm either way.

G.

Control logix 5000 v7.2

Thanks George and Ron for your support and all the detail information that you have shared with all technical aspects.:site:
Operating System support:i have windows 7 32 bit / windows xp 32 bit .Currently i m in search for download link of rs Logix 5000 v 7.2 (Grace period).it would be quite helpful for me if any one could share the link.

Secondly is this possible to convert the program that was originally build in ver 7.2 to any other version like ver 20.0 or ver 16? because i have version 20.0 installed and 5550 series is not present in this version .or should i upgrade both PLC firmware and also original program so that it can open on other version?

There have been five major hardware platforms for the ControlLogix family since 1998, with some overlap between them in terms of firmware support.

(This is a general list; I don't think it's helpful to overload novice users)

1756-L1 v4 through v13
1756-L55 v6 through v16
1756-L60 v12 through v20
1756-L70 v19 and future
1756-L80 v28 and future

To determine the highest appropriate firmware revision for your controller, look at the label on the front.

If it says "Logix 5550" then it's a 1756-L1 controller.
If it says "Logix 5555" it's a 1756-L55 controller.

In general, you must have the Version of RSLogix 5000 software installed that matches the Major Revision of your ControlLogix firmware.