1734-IE2V Analog

Patriot_101

This is probably something I am overlooking however using a 10 k 360 degree pot the analog input card misses the counts... So if I have it set to 5 it might go around 3 or 4 times before it see's it. Any help would be appreciated

welcome to the forum.

please tell us the model # of the pot you are using.

is this a single turn or multi turn pot?
if it's a single turn pot, does it turn continuously or have stops?
if it's a single turn pot, the stops may have been damaged and not working.
if it's a single turn pot, there may be a dead band in it.

lots of questions.
james

Figure out if the problem is on the field side or the program/configuration side. Use a voltmeter to check the voltage at the terminals on the AI module while you rotate the pot. Also make sure you have the wires on the correct terminals.

Not sure what this means. To what do each of the "it"s refer?
So if I have it set to 5 it might go around 3 or 4 times before it see's it.

Last edited:
Sorry I should of been more descriptive . By it I meant the pot itself. If I turn the pot real slow it will do fine However, as soon as you start to turn the pot a little quicker you can see the analog numbers in the program start skipping digits. If I set the module up for a high of 100 and a low of 0 it will never see the numbers. If I set the module for a high of 10 low of 0 it does better but still cannot rotate the pot to quickly

Thanks again for any and all help

Troubleshooting technical issues remotely requires accurate descriptions of the problem in appropriate terms. "Real slow" and "a little faster" may make perfect sense to you but they're meaningless to me. Is "real slow" one RPM? Is "a little faster" 10 RPM?
There could be two issues at play here. First, the rate at which the AI module refreshes itself. Under the hood, it performs an analog-to-digital conversion. That conversion doesn't happen instantaneously. You'll have to check the documentation for the module to find out how frequently the value inside the PLC gets refreshed.
The other issue is how often RSLogix gets refreshed. It is faster when you are connected to the PLC using an Ethernet connection compared to a serial connection.

Slow would be around 10 rpms. Anything quicker the program does not see.

Basically I have a compare instruction if A<=B then energize the output. A being a setpoint and B coming from the 1734-IE2V.
Thanks again