Contrologix 5000: New Tags Added

Sorry for these basic questions. Eventually I'll surprise you with more sophisticated stuff.

I just added some new tags in this PLC app. And, of course, they also went onto the Wonderware Intouch 10.1 displays.

Do these tags magically start working under the existing communications framework, or do I have to manually make RSLinx aware of them?

If you are using WW I assume you have a DAServer configured to communicate to the PLC. You probably need to cycle the DASABCIP driver. Just disable then re-enable.

If it's a running system find a window of time where a blip in the comms won't negatively impact anything.

I think it *used* to use RSLinx, but then when the machines got migrated to Windows 7, it became "SuiteLink"?? And yeah, the displays communicate with multiple PLCs, but I'm only reloading one of those, and *that* app is a pollution device that is just sitting there simmering.

However, when I reload the pollution device PLC, it's going to reset it, correct? Which means they'll have to go through the lengthy startup procedure again? And the only way to avoid this is by using "online edits"? Is that right?

However, when I reload the pollution device PLC, it's going to reset it, correct? Which means they'll have to go through the lengthy startup procedure again? And the only way to avoid this is by using "online edits"? Is that right?

DO NOT touch the PLC! You need to understand how WW is communicating to the PLC, this is what you need to restart, NOT the PLC.

If the DAServer is just running on the local HMI desktop computer, simply re-booting the computer will do the trick. If the DAServer is running on a physical server you don't want reboot the server. Just the driver. It all depends on the architecture.

I'd suggest you learn more about the system setup, just don't do anything to the PLC you don't need too.

It sounds like the OP just made some changes to the one PLC offline and to a WW screen. So perfectly fine to download new PLC program.

To answer the question whether you are using RSLINX or the DAS server you don't have to do anything as long as you used a topic/access name in WW on these new tags that was already working on existing tags to the target PLC.

Originally posted by robertmee:

It sounds like the OP just made some changes to the one PLC offline...

You are making an assumption. He doesn't say anywhere that he added the tags offline. You can add tags in run mode all day long in a Logix platform processor, which is what I suspect he did.

As Paully's5.0 said, I would sit down with the InTouch documentation and get your head around InTouch comms. There is some huge flexibility there but that also requires a lot more user interaction and knowledge than using something like a PanelView Plus.

Keith

^Not making assumptions. Read his 2nd post. He says he made them offline because he suspects that making them online would be a different method. Then he goes on to say he needs to load this new program into the pollution plc.

You are assuming again. That whole paragraph is written in question format. He isn't specifically saying he made the changes offline and needs to download. He is asking IF he did that wouldn't it reset the system. He further ASKS if the only way to prevent this is online changes.

Sorry but disagree. 'when I reload the pollution device PLC, it's going to reset it, correct?'....doesn't say IF...says WHEN. But not worth arguing about or polluting this thread....I'm very careful in my career making assumptions and believe I did a good job of reading his/her intent. But I could be wrong...no worries.

Our stand alone WonderWare application uses SuiteLink to ControlLogix and, in my limited experience, making changes online is the preferred way to go. Once the PLC logic is completed (and functioning the way I want) those tags referenced by the WonderWare app are create there using the proper controller Topic name. We use a thin client for development work and as soon as I assign a new tag to an object in WindowMaker, that change is visible and functioning in WindowViewer on the development machine. Once the changes are completed they're pushed to the other clients and the job is done.