Panelbuilder32,Logix5 Win7/64, XP, U2DHP and VMWare12

TheWaterboy

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Have to work on a system comprised of a PLC5 and a Panelview600 using a laptop with Win7/64and U2DHP DH+.

I have worked with PLC5's and Panelview 600s plenty, but never like this.

Because Panelbuilder32 in unstable on Win7/64 - I had to install VMware12 and create an XP SP3 machine for that.
I was successful in that I was able to edit the Panelview 600 and made it work fine, but then I exited the VM and tried to work with the PLC5.
Logix 5 opened and I can open the RSP file - but as soon as I try to go Online with the PLC using the U2DHP DH+, Logix 5 goes all grey and crashes.

This laptop worked fine on PLC5's until I installed the VM on it, but it seems that my host installation got munged because of the VMWare installation or perhaps the USB sharing aspects of it.

FYI RSLinx browses the network (Using the U2DHP adapter) and sees both the Panelview and the PLC5 just fine in either the host or the VM, the problem happens when I try to make the connection to Logix 5 and that only happens under the host system.

Anyone seen something this and have some insight for me?

Is installing RSLogix 5 in the VM an option for you? You can have it get the license from the host, and it might be more stable running under an OS that's of a similar generation.

ASF: I suppose I could go the all VM route, but it was working fine before I installed the VM. And the Panelviews are on the way out I hope while the 5's will be here a while longer. I didn't know you could have it drill through to the licensing.

Okie: I could make Panelview32 run, but it wouldn't open files - complaining about disk space among other things as is often the case with older software in much newer OS. In the VM it was much happier.

Guess I'll call Support.

I'd use this as an opportunity to get yourself fully set up with a virtual environment. My host machine is an apple, and the only software packages it runs are teamviewer and VMWare.

I have multiple Rockwell VM's across various OS's - my activation is on the "main" Windows 7 machine that I use for most of the RA stuff, and any of my other VM's just grab the license from there if they need it. Means I have to have both VM's running - but only for a short time, once they have the license I can switch off the W7 machine and they other VM will run on grace period.

Of course, if you have a Windows host then you can just install the activation manager there, and you don't have that issue at all. But then you have a Windows host :p

Doesn't help you right now with the problem you have, I know. But your problem is one of the many reasons VM's are the best thing to happen to our industry since the invention of the PLC. Might be just what you need to kick you out of the State of Denial and get on the VM bandwagon ;)

I'm on the VMware bandwagon now. Not enough to run it on a mac, (no serial ports) but I'm there.

Problems I have had today:

1. how do you point the VM applications to the host machine for licensing? Wasn't a problem today because of the grace period, but it will be next time.

2. I have to use a U2DHP, switching the USB connection between the VM and the host "feels" like it will be fraught with problems. This impression comes from the understanding that you have to plug in the USB end BEFORE the DH+ end or the adapter (or driver ) doesn't work right. I expect this transition will never be a clean one. Like someone said earlier, Put Logix on XP and that problem goes away.

BTW I called support this afternoon and was treated to : Clear Temp Files, Repair the installation, delete harmony files... stuff like that. nothing definitive.

But...

Earlier this morning before techconnect was open, I was able to connect to the PLC again by UPLOADING from the PLC into Logix 5 and then going online.

If, like I always used to, I open the file and then attempt to go online, Logix crashes every single time. But when I simply upload and then go online it works and I was able to finish my work.

This didn't happen until yesterday when I installed VMware.

so . . .Whisky Tango Foxtrot is going in with that scenario? I don't think its related to clearing out my temp files.

1. In FT Activation Manager, add a path to the host machine. You literally just have to type the PC name of your host machine in there, and away you go. I usually switch the order too, so it goes looking on the other machine first before trying to find activations locally.

2. When I plug in a USB device it asks me which VM (or host) I want to connect it to. I can tell it to remember this setting, and it will remember that specific device and that specific VM. So if you plug in that USB device and that VM is powered on, it will automatically connect it to the VM. If not, it'll ask me again. Of course, I use VMWare Fusion (mac version) - the way VMWare Workstation handles it might be slightly different, but I'd imagine there'd be something similar.

As to your actual issue...whisky tango foxtrot indeed. All I could suggest would be to uninstall and reinstall RSLogix on the host and see if that puts back whatever registry settings VMWare foxtrotted up in the first place (hopefully without breaking VMWare in the process).

ASF (sorry for slow reply - I'm back from a Conference. )

FTAC is v2.5

I NEVER use FTAC except when I created the new machines so I am not fluent in it by any means. Ity usually goes pretty transparent. This time it wanted some login, don't know what login as I only had the default windows admin logon with no PW. Created a new user as an admin and that at least worked. (now I have to log into the VM which is annoying)
Pointed the "Directory Server Options" to the host laptop and it says connected.

But RSLinx still shows its in a grace period. What did I miss?

You're not after the FTAC (FactoryTalk Administration Console), you're after the FactoryTalk Activation Manager (FTAM).

See the attached screenshot - as you can see, I have mine set to look for activations on my Rockwell VM first, and then on the local machine. It's coming up with the error because my Rockwell VM isn't powered up, so it can't find the activation server.

Screen Shot 2017-11-03 at 9.43.24 am.png

Ah, of course. I had a short "what the hell, how can you have any RA software at all installed and NOT have FTAM? It installs with everything!

But of course, RSlogix 5 and PanelBuilder 32 used the old Master Disk activation, and so depending on which version you installed, you may not have got the FTAM with it.

That being said, I'd still be surprised to find it's not there. Does it really not show up in Control Panel>Programs and Features as FactoryTalk Activation Manager?

If so, no matter. You can easily download and install FTAM from the PCDC *shudder*. The latest version is 4.01 (not 4.00.01) which I downloaded and installed just recently because it addresses a known security vulnerability

Ah. No, it does not.

Version 3.62 is available for download as well, presumably that would would work with XP? My XP VM has v3.60 installed, so I would think so.