Optical Encoder/Position Sensor

remlapw

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone knows of an industrial sensor similar to what is used for positioning the pointer of a mouse (on an optical mouse).

Something similar to what is shown here, but in a pre-packaged solution:
http://media.digikey.com/PDF/Data Sheets/Avago PDFs/ToolKitSelectionGuide.pdf

Ideally it would be an incremental output, as I am just using it to verify movement of material that may slip when being driven by a friction drive wheel. I don't need high accuracy, typically once the material starts to slip it will not move at all as the friction drive carves grooves in the material.

Hoping someone around here can help out!

Thanks

I worked with a non-contact laser based system with encoder outputs for a similar application many years ago made by Cannon. It was ridiculously expensive. I remember thinking the same thing after finding out what we spent on it (~$12k) , and sitting at my desk with my optical mouse ($19.95). I am sure that the level of precision required for a mouse plus the fact that the distance from the sensor to the desk is pretty much fixed are big factors in the cost differences.

I believe another company called Beta LaserMike makes similar systems. My experiences are over a decade old, so perhaps the cost is much more reasonable now.

http://www.betalasermike.com/index.php/en/

yeah,
low reliability, low accuracy, and mass production each knock a zero off the price.

Hmm. Looks like the Beta Lasermike is far too expensive of an option for what we are trying to do.

It's a shame I can't just drop this $20 mouse in there and make it work:confused::confused:

Maybe I'll just have to design my own and bring it to market :cool: