Second Siemens HMI

RMcNaughton

I am wondering if anyone has set up a second siemens HMI using portal (V14) to a PLC programmed in step 7 5.5. I have attempted to do this using a proxy PLC in Portal V14 but I cannot get the HMI to communicate with the PLC. I have previously replaced an old HMI that was broken with a new one using a proxy PLC in portal and it worked fine but this was just a copy of the original. This time i want to add a totally new HMI to the system. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Code:
I am wondering if anyone has set up a second siemens HMI using portal (V14) to a PLC programmed in step 7 5.5.

Many times so its possible to do. The proxy is not as good as the old tag synchronization in flexible but its still manageable.

What I've been able to do is to bring in the STEP 7 V5.5 PLC into TIA Portal, but then only use the HMI in the new TIA project, yet not download from TIA Portal to the PLC. This means, however, if you add new variables to the PLC in V5.5, you have to do the same in TIA Portal.

The proxy usually works great, we have been doing it this way for years.

You mention 2nd HMI, what was your 1st programmed in? I have never run into trouble converting older Siemens screens to TIA. Even the protool ones, it takes a couple more steps, but it is definitely possible.

How do you communicate with the PLC? Might there be an issue with addresses or something?