Data to SQL

J E

I am brand new to SQL. I am in the process of developing an FTView SE application, along with a ControlLogix PLC system. I was recently told that I also need to log data to an SQL database on a seperate computer. I have researched and found several options, but its hard to tell which method would be the most efficient without actually trying them.

Here are the options I have found:

- ODCB logging in View SE (not even sure if this would - work or what would be involved)
- FactorySQL
- RSSql (now Factorytalk Transaction Manager?)
- A custom application (VB/C++ or even VBA) (I can get to the PLC via OPC, but don't know what would be involved with the database side).

I'm most curious about the ODCB logging, but I can't find much documentation, and I don't want to get too deep into it if you guys think I'm wasting my time. I am being put under pressure to do this without purchasing additional software.

I'd apprecate any input. I'm wading into new waters here - it's hard to make a good desicion knowing little about the options, and I certainly don't want to make a bad one.

- ODCB logging in View SE (not even sure if this would - work or what would be involved)
- FactorySQL
- RSSql (now Factorytalk Transaction Manager?)
- A custom application (VB/C++ or even VBA) (I can get to the PLC via OPC, but don't know what would be involved with the database side).

I'm most curious about the ODCB logging, but I can't find much documentation, and I don't want to get too deep into it if you guys think I'm wasting my time. I am being put under pressure to do this without purchasing additional software.

I'd apprecate any input. I'm wading into new waters here - it's hard to make a good desicion knowing little about the options, and I certainly don't want to make a bad one.

Don't do ODBC. It should only be used as a last resort.

My first choice would be FactorySQL. A custom application would work too, but you have to decide if you are up to it. I can't speak for RSSql, but I tend to stay away from stuff that is tightly bound to one maufacturer (i.e. WinnCC).

What do you need to log?
If it's custom data to do reporting, do it in VBA in ViewSE, and yes, using an ODBC connection is absolutely fine. I usually build up stored procedures, but you can write direct SQL queries in VBA.

If you are trying to log the historical trending information to SQL, best of luck. ROCKWELL has basically destroyed that functionality in the later releases (blaming it entirely on Microsoft and DCOM of course).

The only way I've been successful at all (if you want to call limited functionality or security risks successful) is to either grant 'Everyone' administrative privilages on everything, and have all services log in under a domain admin account, and manually configure every DCOM driver to run under a domain admin account, OR write everything to a local SQL Express DB, and have a separate job on the main remote SQL database regularly copy the new information out. Most ugly, perhaps Rockwell will fix this one day, but I'm not holding my breath.

Data Communications to SQL (MS or MY) from Your shop Floor systems

Previous post are correct about the FT SE / ME not being able to Communicate directly with a DB, or Poor communications. I currently use the following method.
1. Move / copy all information to a Controller Base UDT tag Structure ie:
DC.ID, DC.VALUE1 ect.. whee i can Have Multi- Structures In 1 Tag Base.
2. I use Indusoft for my CIP (Ethernet)connections to the PLC. My entire 65+ machine are all ethernet Base on an N-Tron network.
3. Using Simple Commands $DBINSERT("MYCONN","TABLE","TAGS") you can Write on Event to a SQL database.

www.Indusoft.com is Very Inexpensive, and Tag BAse like rockwell Products, but 4000 tags is only $1000.00 +/-. Another Source (more expensive and you must be VB.NET Literate) if you prefer MS products is www.parijat.com.

PLC DATA to SQL

AGREED.. times the Number of PLC'S are required to write data or Depanding on the plc type one could produce/consume data to 1 central PLC with 1 X-coupler card.

Have you decided what type of SQL database you're going to use?

I'd recommend FactorySQL for data logging. It supports features like queuing data if the database connection is lost, robust reconnections, runs automatically as a service, etc. You can download a free trial that will run for 2 hours at a time. This video shows how to set up simple data logging.

In any case, ensure that the application works for you before spending money on it.

Hey Guys,

Just bumping this old thread as I have a couple applications coming up that require simple data logging from, say a MicroLogix 1400.

The Micro has internal data logging, but the process is clunky and the output to Excel is restrictive.

I remembered looking at FactorySQL at one point, and thought it might be an option here, but it is now listed as "legacy".

Would AB's "Transaction Manager" + MSSQL Express work and would it require Linx? Is there anything cheaper that you guys can recommend?

You can do this for free with AdvancedHMI. The AdvancedHMI drivers can retrieve the data from the PLC, then using the Visual Studio tools to transfer it to SQL Server. You will find much more help all over the internet for using Visual Studio to write data to a DB than you would with using anything like FactoryTalk.

I remembered looking at FactorySQL at one point, and thought it might be an option here, but it is now listed as "legacy".

Just for educational purposes, 'FactorySQL' has morphed into the 'SQL Bridge Module' that is now part of the 'Ignition' platform from Inductive Automation that TWS provided links to.

So the name is legacy, however the product has morphed and is very much alive and well. If you need plant-wide data collection I will second TWS's suggestion. However if your needs are relatively basic, give Archie's product a try. I will say that the Ignition solution is pretty simple to setup, while I believe Archie's might take a few more lines of code and legwork.

I can't recommend FT Transaction Manager, was a huge hassle when I have used in previously.

+1 :)

just for educational purposes, 'factorysql' has morphed into the 'sql bridge module' that is now part of the 'ignition' platform from inductive automation that tws provided links to.

So the name is legacy, however the product has morphed and is very much alive and well. If you need plant-wide data collection i will second tws's suggestion. However if your needs are relatively basic, give archie's product a try. I will say that the ignition solution is pretty simple to setup, while i believe archie's might take a few more lines of code and legwork.

I can't recommend ft transaction manager, was a huge hassle when i have used in previously.

Thank you for the responses.

What is the difference between the SQL Bridge Module Standard Edition and the Limited edition? Can I get these "modules" standalone, or do I have to purchase a full HMI package first?

I installed Visual Studio Community 2015 and downloaded the Advanced HMI. I always get a SocketException when I try to run the project, even if I build and run a fresh copy with no drivers set up. I must be missing something.

I installed Visual Studio Community 2015 and downloaded the Advanced HMI. I always get a SocketException when I try to run the project, even if I build and run a fresh copy with no drivers set up. I must be missing something.
A SocketException can only occur if something is trying to open an Ethernet connection, so there must be a driver instance somewhere. Did you download the blank solution of version 3.99a?

If so, download again and unzip. But this time open in VS and immediately press F5. You should get a blank form open up with the AdvancedHMI logo. Now close that. Back in VS double click MainForm in Solution Explorer.

You should now see the drivers and controls in the ToolBox