Re: SQL database doubts

jimmyyct

Re: SQL database doubts

Hi guys..
I do not have any basic in SQL. Is that possible to use SQL database to communicate with PLC?

If the answer is yes, please provide me the guide book or link.

Thank you

If you mean capture live data from the PLC then yes. Kepware Datalogger is what I use, there are other options. Its really very easy. If you mean having the PLC poll SQL for data , I'm sure its possible, but I have not ever tried that.

The more difficult bit is getting cogent data OUT of the database. That's where some work will be required.

You can't send PLC data directly to SQL . There has to be a broker in the middle of the exchange. If you are only wanting to write data to the SQL DB then kepware can handle that for you. But if you want to bring data from a SQL BD then this will serve you better http://www.oldi.com/controllogix/

THis will give you bidirectional transfer of data to and from SQL or most ERP and MES systems. We use this module with raw SQL DB's and Oracle and SAP.

Check out SQLZoo to learn basic SQL. Inductive Automation is the pioneer of OPC<-->SQL communication - check out Ignition as a way to do that.

Hi guys..
I do not have any basic in SQL. Is that possible to use SQL database to communicate with PLC?

If the answer is yes, please provide me the guide book or link.

Thank you

I use kepware all the time the best thing to do is download V5.x this will run for 2 hours without a license, just re-start it after that time.
Download SQL Server express (2012 is the latest) in SQL Server create a blank database, then run kepware configure the tags you want to read (you can use the simulator built in to kep) then configure the datalog.
You can use excel to get at the data open up excel, start a new macro, run a database query when asked sort by datetime (limit this to a few lines) > This date < this date)then save the macro then go into vba & there you will see the macro, you can copy this into a sub to be called via a button & say calendar control on a form then modify the copied code from the macro to insert for example variables from the calendar control where the datetime stamps are (you need to know the sql format for this) an example is import data from 04/07/2013 00:00:00 to 04/07/2013 23:59:59 from mytable sort by datetime.
Unfortunately I'm just about to travel or I would send you a spreadsheet with the code for one of my queries & won't be back for another 3 weeks in the sun but if still interested send me a message & I will send it to you when I get back