Ethernet

Hi! I am a student and I have to change to actual connection of panelview and plc made via devicenet to ethernet. So my question is which conditions must to be satisfied to connect panelview and plc via ethernet?

I will appreciate the help!

Welcome to the Forum !

Please post exactly which model of controller you are using, and exactly which model of PanelView you are using. For the PanelView especially, post the complete part number.

Are you replacing the PanelView with a new unit ?

DeviceNet uses principally I/O mapping, while Ethernet uses principally data table or tag database access. The difference between addressing the two will depend on which PLC and which PanelView you are using.

Welcome to the Forum !

Please post exactly which model of controller you are using, and exactly which model of PanelView you are using. For the PanelView especially, post the complete part number.

Are you replacing the PanelView with a new unit ?

DeviceNet uses principally I/O mapping, while Ethernet uses principally data table or tag database access. The difference between addressing the two will depend on which PLC and which PanelView you are using.

The model of the controller is PLC5 and for panelview is plus 1000.
The part number of panelview is 2711P-RDT12CK. I am not replacing the panelview but I am to change its actual connection made via devicenet to ethernet.

To determine which data tables are used with the PanelView in the PLC-5 contorller, you will need the RSNetworx for DeviceNet configuration file, which contains the 1771-SDN DeviceNet Scanner scanlist and memory map.

The 1771-SDN scanlist will show you the Discrete I/O and the Block Transfer numbers that are associated with the PanelView Plus on DeviceNet.

The PLC-5 program will show you which Data Table addresses are associated with the Block Transfer numbers.

This is not a simple addressing change, because of the very different addressing methods used on the two networks.

I don't think an example will help nearly as much as an actual review of the program. Can you post any of the programs here (or arrange to e-mail them directly to a Forum member) ?

You will need the PLC-5 program file (*.RSP from RSLogix 5), the RSNetworx for DeviceNet project file (*.DNT) and an archive file (*.APA) containing the PanelView Plus project file.

I don't know whether I make mysel clear or not when I said I want to change the actual connection made via devicenet to ethernet.
It is not properly to change the connection but I have to take out the panelview plus 1000 from the network of devicenet and connect it to the plc5 via ethernet.

My best regards, I reall appreciate your help!

I understand exactly what you are doing.

This is a multi-step process involving PLC-5 I/O mapping, Block Transfer instructions, the 1771-SDN Scanlist, and the RSLinx Enterprise I/O object and alias tag database.

This migration is not common, and simple examples will be insufficient. That is why I asked if you can post specific information about your project, including the project files.

Informations of Project

Where I doing my internship there is a machine called PTA (Porting Tending Assembly) and its has two panelview plus 1000 that are connect to PLC5 via devicenet. So the project consist in making the two panelview communicate via ethernet.

That is a totally different application than what you first described.

Please post as much detail as you can, so the Forum members don't waste our time assuming how your system works or what you want.

In general, PanelView Plus terminals communicate with the PLC, not with one another.

Your request to change the communication method from Devicenet to Ethernet is similar to the following -

"I have a car which runs on gasoline. Can you explain how to put diesel fuel into the tank?"

But the implied request is - "I have a car which runs on gasoline. What do I need to do to have it run on diesel fuel?"

The answer to that would be, besides using diesel fuel, would be massive changes to the vehicle including completely replacing the engine.

In a similar manner, changing the method of PLC/HMI communication from Devicenet to Ethernet, without making a number of other changes, will not, by itself, yield a working PLC/HMI system. Ken Roach was detailing the methods to begin the complicated change.