CSI Cyber

2rlp

Hi,

In CSI Cyber S1E02, it's shown that a PLC can be hacked by using a Blue tooth device.

Is this possible? How can one avoid this?

Ron

Wouldn't you need an actual blue-tooth device in your PLC ? I have never seen one (don't know that they even exist) ...

Wouldn't you need an actual blue-tooth device in your PLC ? I have never seen one (don't know that they even exist) ...

AFAIK there are no PLC's with Bluetooth built in but there are ways of ways to deploy bluetooth. I have listed some below and I see a lot of this out there.

Many people use it for cabinets and such without External access panels like a Graceport or similar or to be able to move around the machine a little. It's also a cheap and easy way to give you a wire free connection to non ethernet PLC's.

Also since Bluetooth is fairly easy to hack it could be done easily but the limiting factor against the attacker would be the limited range of bluetooth but put good social engineering skills to work and you are in.

Twido has a gateway http://www.mouser.com/pdfdocs/schneiderelectrictwidoprogrammablecontrollers.pdf

There is the bluetooth adaptor for AB PowerFlex Drives http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/20wim-um001_-en-p.pdf

There are bluetooth serial connections https://gridconnect.com/bluetooth-t...|59302249153&gclid=CLvCgsX3osQCFeXm7AodZjsA3g

There are bluetooth ethernet adaptors
http://www.connectblue.com/nc/produ...t-adapter-rbe231/?pdf=1&format=A4&pageId=1231

The real point is, CSI Cyber != Reality.
None of the shows on TV are related to reality.

Yes, just about anything can be hacked, no matter what precautions you take, but no, someone with a cell phone can't find all of your personal information, transfer your accounts, reprogram your DVD player, and wipe out your PLC in 3 minutes.

Look at how many person hours (years?) went into Stuxnet. Hint: It wasn't a kid in his basement playing around.

I have a relative who got laid-off from his job as a writer in Hollywood - he was a writer for reality programs!?!

When I said 'why writers - they're reality shows' he says if you throw a bunch of people into a situation, nothing exciting or interesting happens. You need to write turmoil and conflict and most of the dialog.

Don't enable BlueTooth on your PLC.

The PLC had no innate Bluetooth capability. The brief shot I saw of one of the cards they pulled from the rack had 'SLC ???' on it. The bad guy breadboarded a card with 1. a SLC backplane connector; 2. self-contained processor with supposed malware loaded; 3. a Bluetooth port for the evil card; 4. a board cover identical to the other (I/O?) cards in the rack.

I too believe they were stretching the truth. The one part I have trouble going along with is being able to spoof the 50x processor via the backplane. But hey, maybe it is possible.

I just saw the episode too. It is sort of a Raspberry PI attached to what looked like a fake SLC 500 I/O module. The Raspberry PI type device is what was using the bluetooth connection. Presumably the hacker was connecting to that device. There was no connection to the SLC backplane or any way for the unit to draw power. You can't miss the ominous "blue light of death" though.

I grabbed a photo of the unit.

OG

bluetooth.jpg

There was no connection to the SLC backplane or any way for the unit to draw power.
I grabbed a photo of the unit.

OG

Oh. I missed that. I must've just assumed there was a backplane connector. Based on that I change my assessment to not possible. :)

remember...anything is possible on tv....superman can fly and the "a team" (remember them) can fire 1000s of rounds and miss all the bad guys...plus build a battle bus from junk in a random barn.

Having said that I do like a tv show where I can suspend reality

I haven't seen the episode, but such ideas aren't all that far fetched. Malware could infect a PC via Bluetooth, then spread to network devices: computers, printers, home routers, etc, and attack PLCs from there. The same types of attacks (think buffer overflows) work on embedded devices, then they can run programs and put packets on the network just like any other computer.