WinCC 2008 Flexible issues

JOLTRON

Lifetime Supporting Member
I was wondering if anyone else has alot of issues with there installs of WinCC Flex. Anytime I install it, it never works correctly. I have to go thru and run the "Repair" in the control panel 1 to 3 times. At first I thought it was just the computer so I tried on another and the same outcome.

Issues have been:
WinCC opens to a grey screen but then locks up.
Not all the toolbars are available.
Have to open WinCC first can't just open a WinCC program, if you do it tries to re-install WinCC.

I called tech support and they told me WinCC Flex is not compatiable with XP Pro SP3. So I tried downgrading to SP2 and still had the same issues.

I have also tried Upgrading WinCC Flex 2008 to SP1 at that point when I try to open a file it tells me the previous file was open with an incompatiable or beta version of the software, please find the previous software and use that.

If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it.

-Joel

Hi Joel.

Not all the toolbars are available.
There is a function to reset the menus under the User Interface settings.

If that does not work try this:

Open a command prompt.
Go to the WinCC Flexible folder.
Then type:
HMIES -reset <enter>

This seems to set everything back to some default menu structure. It even removes some of the fancy menu icons and inserts some more primitive looking ones.

I once had to do that, and also reinstall a servicepack in order to get WinCC Flex to behave again.

I have also tried Upgrading WinCC Flex 2008 to SP1 at that point when I try to open a file it tells me the previous file was open with an incompatiable or beta version of the software, please find the previous software and use that.

In the first PC, try to use the Save as version, and then select version 2007 or 2008 without SP1.
Then try to open that project on the other PC.

Apart from that I am still running with 2005 SP1 HF7.
I have 2008 running under WinXP SP2 in a VMware.

When WinCC Flex 2008 first came out our distributor warned us that it had problems importing older projects. HF1 was supposed to fix it. I have HF2 installed and using WinXP SP2 without any of the problems you describe.

Thanks Jesper,

I tried the reset toolbars option previously but it didn't work for me.

But I will try out the other reset option you mentioned next time it freaks out.

As for the save as function, I forgot to mention that is another item that isn't available. For me.

I have to say I normally prefer to use Siemens products but with all the issues I have been having with WinCC Flex I kinda wish I was using RSView Studio.