Soldering Help

24V

Hi everyone,

I am new to soldering and i’m having some troubles cutting off the extra component leads ( I am using a through-put solder-able breadboard). At first, I was able to get away with using my basic wire strippers to cut the resistor leads. However, I have four HC-SR04 ultrasonic sensors that have sturdy solid leads thus they’re hard to trim and my wire strippers don’t work. I was told by the IT department that I could use “side cutters pliers” but i’m confused on which size to purchase? Any chance someone can guide me in the right direction or if possible provide me with an amazon link.

Kind regards,
24V

The inexpensive stamped ones we tend to call "nippers". Forged diagonal cutters are "dykes" for "diagonal cutters".

Nothing wrong with the cheap ones for occasional work, but for quality you want Klein, Knipex, or Irwin. Wiha if you just got a bonus.

I kind of prefer the light weight "nippers" for close-in board work. I feel they can get into the tight spots a little better and provide a little better sight picture. But that is about all you can use them for. They won't last if you try to cut any real wire with them.

Keith

Precision flush side-cutters. Don't bother spending big on them. A $10 pair will cut everything you need to on a PCB.

For a little while...

My $14 pair have been going for almost 10 years. The only reason they've seen any damage/dulling at all is because I occasionally get lazy and cut steel, shielding or large diameter cable with them. A light hit with the linisher fixes that. In contrast the $60 pair someone else bought got dropped once and the tip shattered off.

Note: These are also great for flush cutting cable ties, and I've spent years nagging our tradesmen to get a pair.

I really like the Wiha tools, but they can get a bit expensive. A lot of it will come down to what fits your hand best.

Note: These are also great for flush cutting cable ties, and I've spent years nagging our tradesmen to get a pair.

I recommend one of these to encourage people to not leave little plastic razor blades sticking out of their zip ties. Encouragement Stick

Bubba.

For a little while...

HA,

I was going to say, every time I buy a new set they work great until I try to cut something too strong and then the blades have a nice half circle in them.

Knipex are great, but they definitely are prone to operator error.