Finding FTV .mer version?

JJH

I’ve got a quick question regarding programs that get loaded onto the PanelView Plus products.

Let’s say I download a Runtime app from a PanelView, convert it into an .apa, and then need to recompile it into a Runtime app and downloaded it back to the HMI.

Is there anyway, either through the PanelView or the program which I converted, to find out what its particular software compile version is? I’m trying to figure this out to put into a quick guide for myself and the company field service technicians to avoid the pitfall of accidentally compiling a program with the wrong version.

Any advice from the group is much appreciated!

Neat program! I tried it on a couple of files and it seemed to work OK. I was hoping to find something that was inherit in either the PanelView or program so that someone could view the compiled version without needing a separate program. I could see myself using this around the office or if I'm at a remote site, though!

In RSLinx Classic, you can right-click on the PV+ and look at the device properties. I think to have both in your arsenal would be the way to go.

2015-12-15_12-23-47.jpg

JJH,
I didn't put that program together, I just pointed you to the thread.
I don't want credit for someone else hard work.

Jordan,

After reviewing your suggestion, it looks like using RSLinx as you described gives me the properties of the device itself and not necessarily the version of the program that's loaded into them. Is that right or am I missing something?

I ask because when I did this with the PanelView Plus 700, I got a Revision 3.10, although I compiled and loaded a Version 7 & 8 Runtime app into the PVP.

Thoughts?

My apologies, I had done it on the few units I had immediate access to, and it seemed okay.

On another look at a unit that was recently upgraded in firmware, the revision announced by the device remained the same.

<sigh> One great idea out the window... :oops:

Hi Jordan,

Well, that isn't a bad tip, it could definitely be useful if someone was trying to view the hardware and firmware versions of a device that they couldn't log into or didn't need to load an entire software package just to find that out.

While I've got an e-mail out to my local AB PLC guy, I was told by co-workers that if you attempt to open an .mer file that's older than the current version of your software, a big ol' message screen comes up and informs you about the difference between the version numbers. At that point, the version of the existing HMI application can be noted and then a decision can be made later if it should be recompiled into that same version or a newer one.

Not exactly the slick answer I was looking for but I tried this and it does accomplish what I was looking for.

I usually just goto the Config menu on the panelview. then terminal settings and in there you can find out what firmware version it is.

I created the program link'd above because I have to deal with trying to figure out versions relatively often, it's the quickest way that I could solve the problem if I just had a file someone sent me.

Had the same problem, somebody in our office made this note.

Step by Step procedure:
- Unzip the *.mer file. Yes you read correctly! The *.mer file can be unzipped to reveal directories that will probably recognize (same as the HMI project structure) and a couple of other files (VERSION_INFORMATION, PRODUCT_VERSION_INFORMATION, FILE_PROTECTION, DIRSIZE_INFORMATION).

- Open the file VERSION_INFORMATION with Notepad++. At this point, the content is pretty much gibberish (ETX = End of Text, ENQ=Enquiry)

- Use Notepad++ converter plugin to convert the selected text from ASCII -> HEX.

- Tada! The conversion will reveal a line in hexadecimal, line such as 0305A, which means the *.mer file was generated for version 5.1!

- 03 (hex) was the character ETX is ascii, and the following numbers (in hexadecimal) reveal the runtime file version (see below):
○ 030920 = Version 9.0
○ 030814 = Version 8.2
○ 03080A = Version 8.1
○ 030820 = Version 8.0
○ 030720 = Version 7
○ 03060A = Version 6.10
○ 030620 = Version 6.0
○ 03050A = Version 5.10
○ 030520 = Version 5.0
○ 030420 = Version 4.0
○ 030314 = Version 3.2
○ 03030A = Version 3.10

Hexadecimal cheat sheet to get the meaning of the last 2 characters in hex (14 (hex) = 20 dec

Hexadecimal Decimal
00 0
01 1
02 2
03 3
04 4
05 5
06 6
07 7
08 8
09 9
0A 10
0B 11
0C 12
0D 13
0E 14
0F 15
10 16
11 17
12 18
13 19
14 20

Enjoy!

PLC_Montreal,

WOW, and for this being your First Post... this information is Invaluable...

Thank You...

Cool solutions!!
But I may add to this: Do this right from the beginning by naming your project meaningfully.

I hated it when I see something like this: 3456.mer

Why not name it properly: MyProjectName_v4.0_2018_11_28.mer

It makes it much easier , as you adding more and more newer .MER files to your HMI.