Panelview Component to Compactlogix Ethernet

I think I see the diagram/layout you're referring to Forde. But in the PPT it never mentions the USB being used for HMI comm. It lists usb uses as programming, backplane connections, and firmware flashing. However it does say something about USB being used as a temporary device port (not sure exactly what that means). My gut said it wouldn't work, so I never tried it. Unless someone shoots down the theory here, I may give it a shot. I have a spare L1 controller and a PV component lying around somewhere.

Thanks Tim.

I have a PVC T6M coming in Monday supposedly to marry up with an existing CompactLogix L1. If it ends up being a No Go, one of them could make a good paperweight!!

Last edited:
Yes!!!

Hi guys.

WE DID IT YESTERDAY!!! (y)

I have read this thread yesterday… Also all the Rockwell people told us that it was impossible to do it…
But my inner voice told me that it was a little possibility to do it #juaynot? #juayderrito?

We configured the “MAP SLC PLC Messages” as usual.

The excel file in the Rockwell technote #55209 gave us some hints in how to address the tags.
Now we can access INT, REAL and bits (as an INT indexed at a bit level). Also arrays of this data types.

I think that the key is to use “Micrologix/ENI” Ethernet protocol, and the “Micrologix 1100” as the controller.

The equipment tested was a 1769L30ER (FW 20.004 Build 44) and a PV Component 1000. Both brand new.

Regards from Mexico.
Viva Mexico!!!

The probable reason this worked is that the new 5370 series CompactLogix controllers accept endpoint connections directly to the Ethernet port, rather than using a CIP hop to the backplane and the controller.

That PPT that GForde pointed to is very likely just somebody drawing lines and using a generic image. I doubt very much that it was meant to show a new connectivity option.

While I generally applaud the creation of an elegant hack, I strongly recommend against adopting this as a standard connectivity method. As far as I know, RA has no plans to support or promote connectivity between the PanelView Component terminals and any ControlLogix or CompactLogix controller over Ethernet.

soy de mexico tambien monterrey, me podrias apoyar... ya compre el compact y el panelview y ya me asuste man

Panelview Component to CompactLogix Ethernet made it work

used
1769-L27ERM-QBFC1B and 2711C-T6T with the “Micrologix/ENI” Ethernet protocol, and the “Micrologix 1100” as the controller.

however cant seem to communicate Real numbers

The probable reason this worked is that the new 5370 series CompactLogix controllers accept endpoint connections directly to the Ethernet port, rather than using a CIP hop to the backplane and the controller.

That PPT that GForde pointed to is very likely just somebody drawing lines and using a generic image. I doubt very much that it was meant to show a new connectivity option.

While I generally applaud the creation of an elegant hack, I strongly recommend against adopting this as a standard connectivity method. As far as I know, RA has no plans to support or promote connectivity between the PanelView Component terminals and any ControlLogix or CompactLogix controller over Ethernet.

Now that you mention the endpoint connection directly to Ethernet Port could the PVC could work with an FlexLogix PLC?

I strongly recommend against adopting this as a standard connectivity method.

The FlexLogix uses a virtual backplane very similar to the second-generation CompactLogix (1769-L32E and 1769-L35E, for example). It requires a Slot Number 0 in the CIP path, rather than the IP address endpoint like the fourth-generation CompactLogix controllers.

Hello!

I have a PLC Control Logix 1756-L62 with serial port and HMI Component C600. Somebody tried to connect it (via serial port)?

I am understanding to connect it via Ethernet is impossible..

Thru modbus tcp this can be done. We have connected 1769-L30ER with 2711C-T6T and 2711CT6M.

Get the sample code ("Modbus TCP") from RA website. use SLAVE program for PLC ( it takes 300kb memory ).

Good Luck..!!

Welcome to the Forum !

I'm very impressed that you took that much time, effort, and memory to make that connection between those devices. Good work !

Thru modbus tcp this can be done. We have connected 1769-L30ER with 2711C-T6T and 2711CT6M.

Get the sample code ("Modbus TCP") from RA website. use SLAVE program for PLC ( it takes 300kb memory ).

Good Luck..!!

I know this is an old thread, but it helped me.

I used the same Modbus TCP AOI from Rockwell to get a C600 to communicate to a 1756-L72 Contrologix via 1756-EN2T