Im totally new! Please help! Tool changer PLC

Well I got the wait commands to work, thank you!

But the tool changer is still not reliably changing to the correct tool...I don't think mach 3 can handle this properly (thats the controller)...

Heres a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK_UEFM9VtQ

Would you be able to select the one for me?

So I have decided to go with a PLC, I would need at least 9 inputs 12vdc, and 3 outputs 12vdc. There are so many CLICK PLC's would you be able to assist me in my selection?

Thank you!

I know with hours and hours of figuring it out, I might be able to get the controller to work. But I really want to learn PLC for many of my future projects, so this would be a great learning time !:)

Thanks you!

The Click doesn't have a base unit that will accept 12 VDC input signals and the expansion module that does accept them has 8 points. The base unit C0-08DR-D and two expansion modules C0-08ND3 should meet your specs. You will also need the Click software and a programming cable.

The Allen Bradley Micro Logix 1100 model 1763-L16DWD should also meet your spec. The free version of RSLogix 500 programming software is compatible with that model.

The GE model IC200UDR006 should meet your spec. Programming software for that one is not free, but it is not overly expensive.

There may be a Siemens S7-1200 model that will work, but I'm not as familiar with that line.

Contact local distributors of PLCs to see if they have any promotions. Sometimes you can get a good price on an entry-level PLC bundled with programming software.

Last edited:
Your timing issue may be caused by this line (as an example):
Do Until Tcnt > 200000 OrElse GetOemLed(821) = true AndAlso GetOemLed(822) = false AndAlso GetOemLed(823) = false AndAlso GetOemLed(824) = false

Bitwise operators evaluate all portions of the logic. Which means it's calling GetOemLed() four times. The ORed portion, while I don't think will interfere with the order of operations, may also be playing a role.

You can try a "short-circuiting" operator, (AndAlso / OrElse)

The line would look something like:
Do Until Tcnt > 200000 OrElse (GetOemLed(821) = true AndAlso GetOemLed(822) = false AndAlso GetOemLed(823) = false AndAlso GetOemLed(824) = false)

The short-circuiting operators only evaluate things as far as it needs to go in order to move on. If it sees Tcnt has hit the limit, it moves on right away without checking the rest. If not, it will check the next item. If it sees that GetOemLed(821) is false, it will move on and not call the other three subs.

Last edited:
Another thing to consider would be a sub that grabs all four LED statuses at once, returning a binary number that you would match up to your tooling. You would be able to reduce the size if the indexer sub dramatically.