Just got bit by Factorytalk

TheWaterboy

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Just FYI.
Installed V31 of Logix 5000 and that updated FT to 4.02.00. Turns out this version conflicts with the licensing software Kepware uses. This prevented Logix 500 from starting. 5 worked, Logix and Studio 5000 worked, but not 500.

FT would crash when you tried to get a new activation.

Had to remove FT and install 4.00.02 to restore function. Found a KB article about it Here

On a humorous note, the download contained 666 files. Seems fitting since this Activation **** must have been conceived by satan himself.

It must be some kind of testament to Rockwell that their software has to be ran in a VM just to keep from going totally insane.

I once had a Rockwell guy tell me, “we can manage your Windows updates so that our software stays running smoothly. We would just need to get in contact with your IT dept.”
Yeah, sure. Captain Kirk is going to let me drive the Enterprise too.

It must be some kind of testament to Rockwell that their software has to be ran in a VM just to keep from going totally insane.

I once had a Rockwell guy tell me, “we can manage your Windows updates so that our software stays running smoothly. We would just need to get in contact with your IT dept.”
Yeah, sure. Captain Kirk is going to let me drive the Enterprise too.

I'm sticking with Logix, but currently frozen at V.29. All other Rockwell trash is no longer welcome on my site; No FTView SE/ME, no PanelViews, nothing. Their software is simply poison.

Weird, I don't have Kepware but I run a lot of the s/w in RA's Toolbox, Simatic Manager & Starter (Step7 and TIA Portal), A-D's PLC & HMI s/w, Keyence vision & laser stuff, Cognex Vision stuff, ABB robotstudio, Solidworks, ACAD electric, Nachi FDonDesk, etc and none of it in VMs except for an old ACAD 2002, in Win7 Pro and haven't experienced any problems for probably 8 years now. Timebomb waiting to happen I imagine.

We have a few servers in the field running v31 and Kepware, upgraded v31 to v32, everything was happy, all was good.

Until WIN911 noticed. That **** was not happy. I HATE THAT SOFTWARE.