Studo 5000 V32 - Rename AOI - Error Already Exists

theColonel26

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am trying to rename an AOI Definition and I keep getting the Error "Failed to Modify the instruction. Already Exists"

But there isn't another datatype/instruction with the name I am trying to change it too.

I even tried assigning it a name of random letters and it still does it.

I have tried renaming other AOIs and they work fine.

2020-11-04 13-39-27 CL-CTRLS-VM-ROC.png

Do you have a tag by that name? I think (Unsure ATM) that AOIs, UDTS, Tags, cannot share the same name. Its got to be unique.

Just tested that

I was able to create tags with the same names as UDT's & AOI's.

I was able to create an AOI and a UDT named the same as existing tags, BUT:

I could not create a UDT or AOI named the same as an existing AOI or UDT - that faulted.

However, the line "I even tried assigning it a name of random letters and it still does it." seems to me to indicate the AOI is locked in the properties or something (Like a Windows "File in use" error that won't go away until a CHKDSK is performed.)

sorry for the late reply. took me a while to get back to this project.

So what I did was I exported the AOI type then reimported it, in the import config I changed the name to what I wanted it to be. Then I went and changed the references to that type to the new type name.

I could then delete the only one. ONLY Now I can't rename it again. I don't need to because it has the right name now but it is really strange.

Oh I just figured it out.

Apparently if you use an AOI inside another AOI it gives you this error. I was using this AOI in side another one. :doh2:I hate AB