rslogix 5000 question

bobac

Hey all,
I just joined today. Not sure if this question is in the right place or if anyone has asked it before.
I am monitoring a machine from an upstairs office. The machine faults several times a night and I want to be able to hear an audible alert from my logic laptop. Please tell me this can be done????

I have the output line up , but I'd like to be able to hear it immediately so I can run to the floor with less time wasted.

thanks, Bob

I think you'll need some sort of SCADA/HMI package or if you're handy with Python create something that checks for the state of the machine and plays a sound or something similar to notify you.

Hi,

You can configure a DDE/OPC Topic on the processor in RS Linx and configure an excel spreadsheet to read the topic and specific fault bits.

Excel also supports a VB extension which can be used to play sounds if certain conditions are met.

For instance if you set excel to read the tag Fault_Code_01
you would type something similar in Excel

=RSLINX|TOPICNAME!'Fault_Code_01.0,L1,C1'

Then you would create a VB Macro by pressing alt+f11 in the excel spreadsheet and create a beep macro to call for a ding or chime if that fault code value equals whatever you set it to be.

https://realpars.com/dde/

gives an example on how to configure a DDE/OPC Topic if you are unfamiliar how to do so and how to read it with Excel. Skip everything about the RSLogix Emulate 5000 because you are using a real live processor.

https://www.extendoffice.com/documents/excel/4417-excel-play-sound-if-condition-is-true.html

This website gives information on how to create sounds in Excel.

This will do what you want it to do, and best of all it is free, assuming you have the full version of RSLinx and can create a Topic.

All the best,
JTCAT