HMI Information

What is the layout of this AdvancedHMI system?

It is a PC-based HMI i.e. a PC app, comprising a single .EXE file*, that queries the PLC** for tags' values, and displays those tags in a window***.

Caveats

* Plus some .DLL files
** It could query multiple PLCs
*** There could be multiple windows, with controls (buttons etc.) to switch between them

A server style environment that other clients can connect to and get updated information.
or
Is the software only viewable on the machine that it is running on and has direct access to the PLC?

For your purposes it will be the latter, but it could be either.

...don't want to spend time learning and setup just to find out it cannot do what I need.

Watch this video, which in 213s will show most of the basic steps you will need to satisfy your stated goal, and certainly enough to do a proof of concept. Obviously there is a bit more e.g. installing Visual Studio Community Edition**** and AdvancedHMI, building and deploying the .EXE and .DLLs, etc.

**** which will take some time, but there are at least a dozen how-to's on youtube.

Last edited:
Microsoft Net Studio works well, runs on all windows computers
you just need a communication driver I use Ingear it works well and the version i have there is no runtime license.
you can use RSlinx Professional to communicate to the plc.
Just to give you something to think about Rockwell uses Net Studio to the code for Logix5000 and CCW

The advanced HMI application will directly connect to the PLC and poll the tags you choose at your interval. If you have 2 HMI applications running it will make 2 connections to the PLC. It is not a server/client architecture.