Function Block Problem

shantanuc

I am using Codesys as my PLC Programmer. I use structured text as the language.
I tried using a timer inside a function block and then mentioning it in variables of main program but its not getting started. the (IN) of the timer is not getting a TRUE value.
If i write the same code in PLC_PRG then it works.

Do i need to do anything additional to make my timer run? Please Help

Normally you would never reference a timer that is inside of a function block from outside the function block itself. More normal would be to have an input to the function block turn on the timer.

Function blocks are meant to encapsulate a subset of code that you would re-use many times. In this way, you write the code once and then define multiple instances of the code and use it.

Here is a video I made that attempts to help you learn about function blocks and their use:
https://youtu.be/aYwH2O_QOQo

I am using Codesys as my PLC Programmer. I use structured text as the language.
I tried using a timer inside a function block and then mentioning it in variables of main program but its not getting started. the (IN) of the timer is not getting a TRUE value.
If i write the same code in PLC_PRG then it works.

Do i need to do anything additional to make my timer run? Please Help

Can you provide more explanation and perhaps screen capture to show us what you mean.

Are using a global tag or are you addressing a tag declared inside the function block? Are you getting any errors or is compiling error free but the time doesn't start?

What I show in the attached screenshot is bad practice but it shows that it is possible, provided the tag is declared as VAR_STAT; a tag declared as VAR will is not accessible from outside the block and if you try you will get compile error.

timer.PNG