Another Industrial Automation Podcast? It will being more people to Automation?

Bteachman

Recently ControlGlobal.com's Process Automation Media Network podcast (wow that is a mouth full) had a episode talking about the lack of incoming engineers to replace the ones retiring. They were asking for ideas and help from the community to solve this problem.

This got me to thinking about my own experiences in and complaints with the industrial automation industry. I am a newer to the industry, when I started my path to my career no one was enthusiastic about there job or the industry. This is some thing I would like to see changed.

The only way I can see resolving this and getting to a large audience is through a podcast.Below i posted some details on who I would do it if i was to start a podcast. All the industrial automation podcasts i listen to are more formal and don't seem appeal to younger professional and college students. What do you all think?

Goal:
To create a upbeat, positive, and good quality podcast that discuses news , trends, and teach. Hopefully the cast will inform its listeners and bring more people into the Automation Industry.
Name: Techies-r-Us, Automation Cast, or ????
Demographic: 21-40
Show Schedule: Bi Weekly 30-60 minutes
Show Format: 5 minute intro, 10-20 minutes of news, 10-30 minutes on topic, 5 minute goodbye
Show Topics: (One per show, possibly spreading some into 2 or 3 shows)
1) Trends in HMI's, PLC's, motion, etc (would be re visited Yearly)
2) Training (Example: VFD, Starter, or soft start when to and when not to)
3) Day In the Life, Talk to people in the industry and what they do. Projects they have worked on.
4) Showcase, showing off a product people do not know about.
5) Indy Spotlit- Talking about an independent products, ones that dont have the backing of the big guys.

I think its a great idea Brandon, keep us posted if it progresses.

Maybe, you could invite individual members to do a teach in of the various themes they excel at. For example Ron Beaufort on PID control.

I hope Ron doesn't mind me mentioning is name.

Steve.

Last edited:
I have been thinking about creating some podcasts to see what people think and if they go well then continue them.

Would any one be interested in helping (Co-Hosting, audio editing, etc)?