PLC5/40E CIP Generic Message

danny.michael

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have an upcoming job where I will need to communicate via Ethernet between a PLC5/40E and an ABB AC800. The ABB is equipped with their PE1364C Modbus to Ethernet IP converter. The literature I have been given for the converter has an example of how to communicate with a ControlLogix processor using CIP Generic type messages. Is this possible with the PLC5? CIP Generic is not an option when configuring a PLC5 message.

My gut feel is that it's not possible, but I want to be sure before telling the client that he needs to buy CLX equipment.

I think that you are correct. The PLC-5E Series F controllers have a nice 10/100BaseT connector on the front, but they still only do "PCCC Encapsulation" for PLC-5 style data exchange with ControlLogix.

The SLC-5/05 recently got a "EEM" Ethernet Explicit Message instruction added with some CIP Generic capability. I doubt the PLC-5 will ever get retrofitted with such a function.

You might get a Digi One IAP to provide the Modbus translation to the PLC-5-specific A-B protocol that you need.