3 pos selector switch schematic notation

david90

358pfg1.jpg

Does the schematic above say that the selector switch will energize the relay A1 when it's in the neutral position?

Wouldn't it be the same thing if I replace the NO selector switch with a NC selector switch and use the XOO notation? The NC contact would be open when in position 1 and closes when in neutral position.

I read that to say the contact is closed when the switch is in the center position. The condition indicator should be looked at as a conduction indicator, not an actuation indicator. So whether you use a NO or NC contact and a different cam doesn't change the conduction indicator.

Said another way, the important piece of information is where the switch is when the output wire is energized, not what a specific contact is doing to achieve that energized state.

This is personal preference, but if this is a 3-position spring return to center switch I would show the center position as solid and the side position as dotted. I would also show two arcs with arrows pointed toward the center. If it is three position maintained I would show all the positions as solid and no arrows. But again, that is personal preference.

Keith

On the schematic, i think it's fine to draw it as a conduction indicator but I think it will be confusing when building the circuit. For example, to build the circuit in the schematic, I would install a NC contact to the selector switch but which side (pos 1 or 3?) would I install it to? Assume that I'm building the circuit using this selector switch:
m_gcx133022.jpg

How would you deal that ambiguity?