CIP Generic Messaging

NortheyTech

Hello, Using CompactLogix L35E or L33ER - Does anyone know how to change the IP address of an ethernet I/O module using the CIP generic message instruction?

Welcome to the Forum !

Yes, you can write to the TCP/IP Object using a CIP Generic message.

The CIP Class 0xF5 TCP/IP Object is documented in the ODVA Specification for EtherNet/IP, and described in some detail in RA Knowledgebase Article ID #26779 (TechConnect Required).

I have never used this to change the TCP/IP Object on a remote device; I've always done it to modify the address of the controller's local interface. But the principles are the same.

I wouldn't do this to a remote I/O module unless it was your last resort; if the process fails, you'll probably need physical access to perform a reset and use BOOTP/DHCP or a hard-set private address anyhow.

Thanks for your response.

I am not trying to change the IP of the remote devices. I just want to change the IP of the module properties of my various flex i/o, armorblock i/o, and other generic ethernet modules.

I want to be able to download the same code into several PLC's on the same network, then use the first scan bit to customize the Ip address of all of the ethernet I/O.

Do you think that using the CIP Generic MSG - Set Attribute Single instruction using Service Code=10, Class=F5, Instance=1, Attribute=5 will change the IP address for the Module Properties?

Thanks again.

Oh, now I understand. You want to programmatically change the module definitions in the I/O tree at runtime.

There is no way I know of to do that.

The topic of a 'universal self-configuring PLC program' periodically comes up here on the Forum, but it frequently turns into an argument of theory versus practice.

If I had multiple programs to generate where the only difference was the I/O module IP addresses, I would probably export the project in *.L5K format and use search/replace to change the IP addresses, then re-open the project as a *.ACD.

While this would result in unique program files for each controller, it would reduce the amount of manual labor required to generate those files.

I was looking for the universal self-configuring program. When you have more than 8 identical cells it would be nice to maintain only 1 program. During commissioning and continuous improvement stages of developing, we may find ourselves making a change to one cell and then distributing this change to the other cells on a daily basis.

We will likely end up with the I/O on isolated local networks and the PLC's and HMI's on a higher level network, but it would be nice to have everything on one network for central access to everything. We have i/o with robots that will also share identical code and having them all on the same network would be ideal.

I posed the question in the Rockwell Support Center but the Service Ticket app has been down for the past few days. I'll post any response here if i get one.

You and I are challenged by similar systems; I have 8 machines that are absolutely identical except... they have tuning values and histories that are unique per machine and cannot be over-written.

They are also heavily documented and change-regulated, so if I make a change to any one of them, I go around an import the routine, or do online edits. It's especially time-consuming in my case because one set of machines are not networked together because of (overblown) customer security concerns.

If the controllers are really identical, you can Store an image onto an SD card, configured for 'Load On Powerup', then just carry it around to each machine and do a power cycle.

I haven't taken a very close look at it, but the Rockwell NAT network device might be applicable to your system.

Oh, and the Service Tickets thing at RA is down 'until further notice'; there's a security issue with the database vendor and they've shut it off. Calling or e-mailing gets quick responses, so don't wait for the online access part to come back up.