Testing Allen Bradley Point IO unit

razmis

I want to test a small cabinet that includes a POINT IO unit type 1734-AENT.
How can I test this unit if I don't have a PLC?

You can browse the backplane of the 1734-AENT assembly using RSLinx Classic software to be sure that it is detecting all the attached modules correctly, and you can check the basic functionality of many input modules by observing the status LEDs on each module.

But to test it for sure, or to test output modules, you will very likely need a ControlLogix or CompactLogix controller.

If you are feeling adventurous, and time permitting, there is an Ignition SCADA E/IP driver that can talk to Point without the need for a physical PLC. It can be downloaded from their forums.

It also should have a built in web server so if it is on a network you should be able to access it via web browser. Just type the IP address of your 1734-AENT module.