need a programmer

dawghogston

Does anyone know where Ican obtain a handheld programmer for an Allen Bradley 1747-L20A plc? Or does anyone know what product number the programmer is? Thanks, Nathan

I just did a quick web search using Google and found this site where they specialize in rebuilt parts.

I believe the part number you want is 1747-PT1 but I am not completely sure. Never used or owned one.

Steve

Why would you want a handheld when you can program that PLC using RSLogix?

I'm not sure, but I think that the 1747-PT1 is only good for the SLC-100, -150 and the like (pre 500 series). But if that's what you want, you can find them on eBay.

Last edited:
... listen to Allen's advice ...

Nathan,

the handheld programmer you're asking for is 1747-PT1 ... you might be able to find one on ebay ...

BUT! ...

if you're trying to learn PLC's, this is NOT the way to go ... you really need to be jumping into the software end of the pool ... trying to learn how these things work is complicated enough even with everything laid out on a computer screen ... trust me ... you do NOT want to force yourself into peeping through that little bitty window on the handheld programmer while you're trying to learn ...

here's a link to the Allen-Bradley SLC-500 catalog:

SLC-500 catalog

looking through this might help you understand how all of the pieces fit together ... there's a picture of the handheld programmer on page 13 ... it's NOT a pretty sight ... and notice that it's not even available from AB anymore ... if you DO get one on ebay, make sure that you're getting the cable and an English "memory pak" module with it ... the thing is useless without those ...

friendly advice ...

what you really need is the software and a 1747-PIC module ... then everything that you'll be learning will be much more applicable to the job which you're eventually going to try to land ...

incidentally ... the handheld for the old SLC-100 and SLC-150 models that Allen mentioned is number 1745-PT1 ... these are older than dirt ... even so, some people still use them because RSLogix500 will NOT program the old 100 and 150 models ...

Last edited:
Yeah I use an old Handheld programmer. I leave it in the cabinet plugged into a SLC 150 to change timing Preset values.
They do Have software for the SLC 150, but then I'd have to buy a cable and drag out the laptop.
It's nice to know that if it ever dies, I can find the Programmer on Ebay
If this programmer does die, the SLC150 is going down with it.

e1_1.jpg

Ebay will take your problems away :)

Go Ebay > Business and Industrial section ,type in "Programmer" and you will no be dissapointed :) have a nice day

Listen to Ron's advise

allanbradl said:
Go Ebay > Business and Industrial section ,type in "Programmer" and you will no be dissapointed

I had done that, and every one that I saw was a 1745-PT1, not the 1747-PT1. That's why I thought that the programmers were only used for the 100 and 150 SLCs.

Caveat Emptor.

Last edited:
You are right ......

I did search few min ago and you are right , but ebay is ebay , never know what you going to find next , with limited budget and obsolete or rare items Ebay is the place to go ,unless you are in rush .

It is SO long since I used an SLC500 Handheld that I cannot be certain of my facts: BUT

I recall that the HHT had some real limitations as to which SLC processors and OS version they would connect to. Before you shell out any ding for one, I recommend you check out if it will work with the any of the more recent processor versions.

If necessary the HHT has a memory module that allowed it's firmware to be updated...but this module is not cheap to buy new if one you buy off eBay isn't up to date.

With the price A.B. charges for their software, I wish you could use a handheld for all of their plcs. I have two old slc 100s and they are bullet proof for simple projects. I had forgotten about the 1747 handheld, I might have to try and get my own...Randy

P.S. With the economy the way it is we are installing an old slc 150 at work to keep from shelling out the$ for a new 500 , which I would rather have. The 150 is also good for simple applications

Last edited:
Off the main subject

Have you look at the Allen-Bradly MicroLogix Series of processors as a replacement to the 100/150 family? Check them out. You use RSLogix 500 to program them. The ML 1200 & 1500 have on board trim pots that you can write to data files (change timer Preset). The ML1500 has an optional Data Access Module that reads and writes to interger files and bits. Also ask about the Starter Kits, where processors, software and cable are bundled in a package.

Last edited:
Nathan,

I have the 1745-PT1 hand held progammer with cable 1745-C1 and a memory module that you can have. I also have a SLC personal computer interface converter(1745-PCC) with a copy of the SLC 100-150 interface software that you can have. You will have to load the software on an OLD computer though like windows 3.1! Send me an e-mail with your address and I will send it to you. This is very primitive stuff but it is still around so I will give this to you as a learning tool.

My e-mail is [email protected]

Regards,
Kyle

All of your help is greatly appreciated, and i thank each and everyone of you. Kyle your just THE MAN. Thanks for your offer ive emailed you my address. This site has some true professionals.