Studio 5000 Compatible PLCs

tim_callinan

Hello All,
Sorry for the stupid question but Im trying to find out which PLCs are compatible with RSLOGIX 5000 or Studio 5000 Allen Bradley Software. We have a load of Micrologix 1400s and i'm hoping they are compatible. I work for a community college and we're looking into trying to teach more Studio 5000.
Thanks for any help.....Tim

The Micrologix 1400 PLCs are programmed with RSLogix 500 (or its little brother RSLogix Micro). Studio 5000 and RSLogix 5000 are used to program CompactLogix and Controllogix PLCs. There are similarities between the two software packages but also some major differences.

Thanks OkiePC. Youve helped me over the years with your answers. Let me ask you this. Can you program a Micrologix 1400 with 5000 or is it solely with 500?
Tim

Hi, I believe the Micrologix series are only RS500. I'm guessing one way to quickly tell would be to open a new project in 5000 and when you add the controller, if the 1400 doesn't show in the menu or options available for controllers then 5000 isn't compatible with it. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
RSLogix/Studio 5000 is for CompactLogix and Controllogix processors as. Versions 20 and previous are known as Rslogix5000 and Versions 21 and up are known as Studio 5000 Logix Designer. It is the same software and uses the same licenses.

RSLogix500 is used for the SLC500 and Micrologix family (Micrologix 1000, 1100, 1200, 1400, and 1500).

Connected Component Workbench is used for the Mirco800 series of controllers and they are not related to the Micrologix series.

RSLogix500 is used for the SLC500 and Micrologix family (Micrologix 1000, 1100, 1200, 1400, and 1500).

Just a quick note to add that you can use RSLogix Micro Starter Lite, which is free, to program MicroLogix 1100 and 1000 controllers. You can also use RSLogix 500 for these if you have a paid license, but you don't need to pay for it to use these two families.

There are several flavor$ of each software family sold by Rockwell Automation. We use a lot of Micrologix 1100/1400 PLCs and often will sell a copy of RSLogix Micro Developer ( 9324-RLM0800ENE ) to our customers who can get value from it at a cost of $540.

That package is just like full fledged RSLogix 500 except it will only work with Micrologix PLC (all models) but will NOT work with the SLC family. It has cross reference and usage features that are all but mandatory in my opinion. There is a cheaper version called RSLogix Micro Starter Edition ( 9324-RLM0100ENE ) that will program all models of Micrologix but is stripped down and has no cross reference or Usage and a few other things but only runs a little over $100.

The free version of RSLogix Micro Lite will not program a Micrologix 1400, and is only useful for the Micrologix 1000 and 1100 (and at one time only certain firmware revisions of those controllers). I wish A/B would take a lesson from A/D and make their software free or close to it and not have so many different versions. But like Dad said "Wish in one hand ... "

Since you are an educator, you should be able to get a special sort of license that gives you all the bells and whistles for all of your stuff for little or no cost. I don't know how that works, but others on the forum who are in that market can probably chime in.

Last edited:
We use a lot of Micrologix 1100/1400 PLCs and often will sell a copy of RSLogix Micro Developer ( 9324-RLM0800ENE ) to our customers who can get value from it at a cost of $540.

This is really good to know, I've been working on a few 1400s lately and the licenses we have are on floppy disks. They do not play well with Windows 10, and we've already lost one to the abyss. I would like to get Logix500 but the price tag for the normal version is extremely high considering how often we would use it, but around $500 would be worth it in my opinion.

This is really good to know, I've been working on a few 1400s lately and the licenses we have are on floppy disks. They do not play well with Windows 10, and we've already lost one to the abyss.
---

If you have the serial number of your old evrsi (disk based) license, Rockwell may convert it to a Factory Talk Activation at no cost. I have done this about 5 times but it has been a couple of years since the last time we did it, so policies may have changed.

Thank you for all the advice. I did some searching on our floor and found out we had purchased some Compact Logix PLCs. They look very nice but dont seem to have any wire terminals! Anyhow Ill figure it out. Thank you though. This is a great forum.
Tim

Thank you for all the advice. I did some searching on our floor and found out we had purchased some Compact Logix PLCs. They look very nice but dont seem to have any wire terminals! Anyhow Ill figure it out. Thank you though. This is a great forum.
Tim

Some of the compact Logix (5380 for example) require you to buy the wire terminals separately so you can choose between spring or screw terminals.