RSLinx Classic unable to detect PLC

Dgreatjoe

Hey folks,

I'm unable to see my PLC and HMI in my Rslinx classic even though I can ping the PLC and HMI from my laptop. Please I need help on how to resolve this issue. I have uninstall and reinstall Rslinx still that didn't resolve the issue. I also added a new Ethernet/IP device and the issue still persist.

I am using Rslinx Classic 4.10 and studio 5000.

Thanks.

Which PLC are you trying to connect to? Does it have another coms port you can try?
I think I've read that the ping could be misleading sometimes.

instead of Ethernet/IP - try using the Ethernet Devices driver ... you'll have to add the IP address to the configuration list (inside the driver) but you might be able to get that one to work ...

if that doesn't help, give us a LOT more information about your hardware and software ... maybe we can come up with more detailed advice ...

good luck with it ...

instead of Ethernet/IP - try using the Ethernet Devices driver ... you'll have to add the IP address to the configuration list (inside the driver) but you might be able to get that one to work ...

if that doesn't help, give us a LOT more information about your hardware and software ... maybe we can come up with more detailed advice ...

good luck with it ...

Thank you Ron! I can now see my PLC and HMI in my Rslinx. I added an Ethernet Devices driver as you mentioned abd added the IP address of each device that worked!

But the issue now is that I can't see my HMI in the ME Transfer Utility so that I can download to it. I still need more help on this!
I am using Panelview 10

I can connect to the PLC (Allen Bradley) just the HMI that have issues now

As you mentioned from the outset that you are connecting to both devices from your laptop, it would suggest that there is some network topology in play here? A switch or router appliance perhaps between your laptop and the devices?

The EtherNet/IP driver in RSLinx Classic relies on the ability to propagate Broadcast TCP/IP packets onto the wire (network). It's quite possible that an appliance between your laptop and the devices is configured to block Broadcast traffic. This is usually done to prevent what are known as Broadcast Storms (I won't elaborate). The Ethernet devices driver, which you now have configured and working thanks to Ron, uses Unicast TCP/IP, which is typically never blocked. This is likely why it worked.

Further to this deduction, the ME Transfer Utility is using FactoryTalk Linx (formerly RSLinx Enterprise) to communicate with the PanelView terminal. FactoryTalk Linx uses the Ethernet/IP driver as standard, and hence is using Broadcast TCP/IP, which I again suspect is being blocked.

Similar to Ron's good advice in RSLinx Classic, you can also manually add the communications path to the PanelView terminal in FactoryTalk Linx. Under the Communications Setup in the application for the PanelView terminal, right-click on the EtherNet, Ethernet driver and then Add Device. Either use the Find Device box at the top with the PanelView terminal catalog number, or manually search through the EtherNetIP Devices folder until you have your PanelView model and firmware revision. Double-click on it to add it. In the window that appears, manually enter the IP address for the PanelView terminal.

Right-click on the EtherNet, Ethernet driver and select Start Browsing. The PanelView terminal should now hopefully show up and be available in the ME Transfer Utility. This, again, is forcing FactoryTalk Linx to use Unicast TCP/IP.

Regards,
George