What does 1756-55LSP do?

Glu3

I have used 1756-L73S with 1756-L7SP before so I know the concept of safety partner. However, I don't see there is a GuardLogix controller in the L5x series, so what controller is this 55LSP supposed to pair with? :unsure:

The first-generaton GuardLogix Safety Partner for use with the 1756-L6xS series of GuardLogix CPUs had the part number "1756-LSP". The front side plastic was labeled "Logix55LSP".

Because the Safety Partner only runs the Safety Task, they didn't have different memory sizes. One part number would work with any GuardLogix CPU.

The generation that works with the 1756-L7 GuardLogix has the part number 1756-L7SP.

You are correct that there was never a (publicly released) GuardLogix system built on the L1 or L55 generation hardware.

The first-generaton GuardLogix Safety Partner for use with the 1756-L6xS series of GuardLogix CPUs had the part number "1756-LSP". The front side plastic was labeled "Logix55LSP".

Because the Safety Partner only runs the Safety Task, they didn't have different memory sizes. One part number would work with any GuardLogix CPU.

The generation that works with the 1756-L7 GuardLogix has the part number 1756-L7SP.

You are correct that there was never a (publicly released) GuardLogix system built on the L1 or L55 generation hardware.

You're a star:site:, I should have looked at the part number on the label šŸ™ƒ

A small handful of Rockwell Automation customers use special first-generation and beta-test firmware and hardware.

If there's a missing major revision, or hardware nobody's ever heard of, then it was probably a General Motors-only thing.

Ken,

After Beta testing does Rockwell leave the units with the customers, or get them all back so they are not left in the field with maybe a potential bug?

I worked for a distributor for outdoor power equipment in the 70's and their Beta equipment had special serial numbers, and were supposed to be reclaimed and replaced with production units.

They absolutely freaked out when someone brought in a Beta unit that was a few years old and wanted it repaired. Their legal dep't flew to Michigan, seized it and gave the customer a brand new one free of charge. Then they made certain to make sure it would never run again before shipping it back to the factory to destroy it.

I was never part of those programs or the Detroit field office, so I don't know exactly how they worked. It's likely that the serial numbers were accounted for and that units that escaped were rounded up in a similar way.

Every once in a while you'll see me behave very rudely on this forum to someone with a PLC-5 ControlNet system, because I recognize it as equipment that is exclusive to Solar Turbines, all of which are sold with very strict factory support contracts. You can kill yourself and all your friends if you mis-operate a gas turbine, and I won't help them DIY that maintenance.