PIDE vs. PID

Bullzi

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi everyone,
I have a project start up coming up in the next few weeks that I have 4 PID routines in my program. I have never used PID in a program before so I just recently took the PID class that Rockwell offers and think I have a OK idea of how to use the PIDE instruction. I was just wondering if the regular PID would be a simpler solution than the PIDE. The PIDE seems to by a pretty high powered Function but I wont be using 10% of what is offers.

Here is how I want the system to work: I have a PRESSURE_IN tag to represent the line pressure. If PRESSURE_IN is above the HMI_SETPOINT then I want the VFD_SPEED_OUT (PID(E) Output) to start heading towards 100% output or 60hz. As the PRESSURE_IN gets closer to the HMI_SETPOINT I want the PID(E) to regulate the output to keep the PRESSURE_IN at the HMI_SETPONT. When the PRESSURE_IN is less than the HMI_SETPOINT I want the PID(E) to head towards 0% output or 20hz.

So based on how this will work which way would you recommend going? Is the complexity of the PIDE worth it?

Give me your thoughts.

If you are programming in ladder, you will need to wrap the PIDE in an add-on instruction using Logix/Studio 5000 with a function block license. Probably not worth it if you are just going to use PI control for a VFD.

Others here may suggest not using a PID instruction at all in a situation like this.

PIDE is way too complex for anything I have done.
Ive used PID in RSLogix Function Block and it forks fine and is easy to set up.

PID is literally rocket science since the algorithms involved can be complex enough to keep a rocket on course or a drone stationary in a cross wind. In many cases, simple proportional control (just the P) is all that is necessary when controlling a temperature or pressure. Especially when the condition (process variable) reverses when the output is 0%. I prefer to avoid PIDs and use standard math instructions to calculate the percentage based on when the input enters the P-Band. With this, I can also easily cross over to other control platforms without having to tune a different version of PID.