logix 5k conversion pogram 2.0 issue

James Mcquade

Hi everyone,

I am dealing with converting slc500 and plc 5 programs to compact / control logix processors. I have done the conversions and fixed the errors, but the I/o does not show up.
it that a bug in the program or do I have to manually configure the I/o.
I searched the web and found that version 3 allows you to convert the I/o during the translation process, but I only have version 2.0 and an older version of logix 5000 (version 19.01) to work with.

any help would be much appreciated.
thanks in advance,
james

I've only used the migration tool a couple of times, and it was with newer version of Studio 5000. I followed the manual I have saved as "Converting PLC5 or CLS to Logix 1756-rm085_-en-p.pdf" and found its instructions very helpful.

The migration tool did convert the I/O for us when doing a SLC, but not a PLC-5.

I did find that preparing the files in the older software in advance by creating symbol names and ensuring consistency of address descriptions was quite helpful.

FWIW, the PLC 5 processors/programs really have no concept at all of what IO is expected, required, or present. That is probably why the conversion utility ignores it.

PLCnovice61,

Not yet, I am brushing up on logix 5000. every one is requiring it and I need the practice since I have limited experience.

I do have a question. when you create a Boolean tag, even though its one bit, it still uses a 32 bit word in memory. Am I correct in that statement??

james

PLCnovice61,

Not yet, I am brushing up on logix 5000. every one is requiring it and I need the practice since I have limited experience.

I do have a question. when you create a Boolean tag, even though its one bit, it still uses a 32 bit word in memory. Am I correct in that statement??

james

You will find the CLX family are memory hogs.

When you open a SLC or PLC5 project in the conversion utility it will tell you the size of the program and the memory needed in a CLX when converted - it will be a LOT more.

EDIT: I usually make all BOOL tags an array of 32

Last edited:
thanks for your replies.
spending all morning on job sites is not fun. I do get to look here a few times though.
then studying in the afternoon, I miss getting calls, going to the trouble site, talking to everyone. just venting a bit.
I hope to get work soon.
james

I have converted about 20 PLC-5s and at least 50 SLCs. I always just search and replace the IO to integer files (in Logix500). Then do the conversion and search and replace the new IO back, then delete the integer files.