AB analog card 1756-IF16 or IF8I

euro

Hello,

we chose Allen-Bradley analog card 1756-IF16 for three 4-20mA current inputs for XFMR high side winding temp, low side winding temp and tank oil temp, but later i was told for different sensor inputs, IF8I should be used, since IF8I is for isolated inputs.

My question is could we still use IF16 for different inputs, i see in the manual, the connection shows it accepts several single-end inputs with RTNx jumper-ed. Is there any issue with several current inputs sharing the same point? I understand IF8I makes more sense, but not sure if IF16 is an absolutely NO for different current inputs.

Thank you

Hello,

we chose Allen-Bradley analog card 1756-IF16 for three 4-20mA current inputs for XFMR high side winding temp, low side winding temp and tank oil temp, but later i was told for different sensor inputs, IF8I should be used, since IF8I is for isolated inputs.

My question is could we still use IF16 for different inputs, i see in the manual, the connection shows it accepts several single-end inputs with RTNx jumper-ed. Is there any issue with several current inputs sharing the same point? I understand IF8I makes more sense, but not sure if IF16 is an absolutely NO for different current inputs.

Thank you

It wouldn't make sense to provide 16 channels on the module if only one transmitter could be connected, would it? Instruments with non-isolated outputs are rare these days, and you can mix and match different instruments with the IF16 module so long as all of them have isolated outputs. To connect an instrument with a non-isolated output, you'd need an isolation transmitter.

It wouldn't make sense to provide 16 channels on the module if only one transmitter could be connected, would it? Instruments with non-isolated outputs are rare these days, and you can mix and match different instruments with the IF16 module so long as all of them have isolated outputs. To connect an instrument with a non-isolated output, you'd need an isolation transmitter.
Thank you

what you means is as long as the sensor output is isolated each other, it is ok to connect these three sensor 4-20mA output to IF16 input, right?