DF1 communications

KA24DE

I have an application where i need to log parameters entered by the user thru a Panel View 550. I will store this data in the micrologix 1500 PLC that the panel view is communicating with. What is the best way to generate a log of this information on a PC which will eventually be printed out. Should i use the printer port on the panel view and "print" all of this information to the PC when the customer plugs in his PC for the weekly download or should i use DF1 and setup communications that way thru the serial port? I am thinking that the print method will be much easier because i will just write up a little Visual Basic Application which will take the stream of data and format it for a report. Any help would be appreciated. I dont want the customer to have to buy RS linx single node.

I think you should use Access or similar program which will be conected to DF1 and upload what you want.
In that way your cuatomer dont need to do nothing just click on icon
in his computer.
You will need driver for that.It workI did it before.

Good Luck

Don't know if it's any help KA24DE, but the Micro 1500 already contains a form of 'Data Logging' facility. AB have a purpose written utility file available for download from their site if you need it (a bit basic, but does the job).

Basically, you can create events within the ladder that when triggered, capture values from files you specify. Then, when you upload using the above utility, you have the option of saving as a .csv file to be opened with Excel.

I am not suggesting by any means that this is the best solution, but is fairly simple to set up, and cheap!

Hope this gives you an option.

The file you are looking for is: dlogutils.zip, which contains 2 files. One file is for Windows CE (DLCA1764_CE), the other for straight Windows (DLCA1764). I have the files here, but they are 508kB (too big i think to attach).

If you visit www.ab.com (i'm sure you have to log in to reach the downloads and stuff), then go to the 'Downloads & Utilities' link (i'm afraid i don't find the AB site that user friendly, so you may not find it that easy!!)

Failing this, if you would like me to email this, let me know.

Rob.