FactoryTalk View Tag Import

colemaj1

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi, I'm fairly new to PLC programming. I want to create an HMI tag in FTV from a tag that's in my RSLogix 5000 project.

I am working on an existing project programmed by another programmer. He uses HMI tags to connect to elements on face plates. For example, when a motor is clicked on the HMI, the touch action displays the faceplate with a 'Display <faceplate name> /P<HMI Tag Name>' command.

The tags he uses for motors are a user defined type 'mtr' that contains about 30 different data types used for controlling motors or displaying info about it.
I can see where he's imported existing motors into FTV by looking at the HMI Tag list. Each motor tag has it's own folder. In the folder for that tag is all the HMI tags corresponding to each of the 30 or so data types for the motor tag.

I am trying to add a new motor. I've added the tag in Logix, and added the motor in FTV on a display. Now, I need to import the tag I created in RSLogix into FTV, so I can open the faceplate properly. This is where I get stuck. What's the easiest way to import a single tag, and have all the sub-datatypes populated as HMI tags? I'm pretty sure he's not adding all 30 tags for the motor manually.

Proc is 1756-L75.
RSLogix is online. v20.12
FTV and RSLogix is on the same PC
FTV is v8.1

Thanks in advance!

Tags.jpg

Thanks gclshortt. I checked out those threads. I'm still a little unclear as to how to import.

By what I'm seeing there are 3 directions I can go. They are listed below, and the problems I'm having with each of them.

- Use the DB browser in FTV. When I browse for a database, I don't see ACD file as an option.

- Export from Logix to a csv or other file, and then import. As far as I can tell this bulk exports all tags. Then I don't know how to selectively import this one new tag, I'm after.

- Import/export wizard in FTV? Same as above, all these options seem to be bulk import.

Export your HMI tags. Under Tools> Import and Export Wizard.

This will give you a .CSV file that can be opened in Excel.

Delete All Tags in file except one motor. Search and Replace all motor tags to new name.

At the Top of the excel sheet you'll see the Folder ID information. 3 columns with F folder name F

Delete all folder information except one. Modify Folder Name to new folder.

Import .CSV file. It will create a new folder and all the new tags in that folder.

Don't worry about deleting tags and folders from .CSV file it will not remove existing tags from project when you import file. Only create new.

You could Copy and Paste a motor tag group and modify and import all. The import option will allow to import new or Overwrite existing.