PowerFlex 525

Here is how he showed me to do it.

Actually I think I will change it slightly, by adding another rung.
Rung 19 will be the (U) looking for a N.O. "PF525_Active" bit which will close if drive starts and the new added rung having the timer looking for "PF525_Active" on a N.C. bit.
I will use the "Booster_Pump_Fail _Start" to do a 2nd attempt then fault if it fails that attempt..

609139_Booster_VFD_Control.jpg

Last edited:
Hi all,

I am trying to setup a pf 525 to talk to a modbus tcp/ip system.i have not been able to make it work. I. Have a hms gateway that is modbus tcp/ip on one side and the other side is ethernet i/p. The hms gateway does not recognize the drive. Can anybody make any suggestions?

Ken can you pist some of your logic fir drives?

I've been using the recommended AB logic for all PF drives for years with no issues...There was a note somewhere at one time. The logic is simple and two rungs:

XIC condition to start, OTE Start

XIO Start ONS OTE STop, latch around ONS with XIC Stop XIC Active

The above logic keeps the start high the whole time you want the drive to run. It keeps the stop high only until the drive stops.

I don't subscribe to the method of releasing the start after running, as that seems counter intuitive. When diagnosing a ladder file, I want to see that the drive is getting a start/run command. Plus, I like to include fault logic that says XIC Start XIO Active TON RunFltTMR, XIC RunFltTMR.DN OTL Fault

Hi all,

I am trying to setup a pf 525 to talk to a modbus tcp/ip system.i have not been able to make it work. I. Have a hms gateway that is modbus tcp/ip on one side and the other side is ethernet i/p. The hms gateway does not recognize the drive. Can anybody make any suggestions?

I don't believe the PF 525 supports Modbus TCP/IP.

From what I have seed, it looks like either EtherNet/IP or RS485 (Modbus RTU) thru the DSI port.

I don't believe the PF 525 supports Modbus TCP/IP.

From what I have seed, it looks like either EtherNet/IP or RS485 (Modbus RTU) thru the DSI port.

My Bad, yes it does.

A-B drive guy said there should be some updated manuals coming out. Whenever that may be.

The new PF527 is due out next spring. Should be interesting to see that one.

I just commissioned a few of these drives. Here's my opinion:

What I liked:

Obviously the main selling point is the built-in Ethernet/IP. Even easier to set up than a PFlex 40 with a COMM-E card because you don't have to set up the COMM-E card in addition to the drive. I configured over RSLogix 5000 (I didn't and refuse to mess with Connected Components Workbench) and it was painless. Just pointed it to the drive and I was able to download/upload and change parameters.

The other thing I liked was the detachable control module that can be USB powered. This is great for plants that have a lot of drives and thus replace a lot of drives. When you plug it into your PC, it shows up as a USB storage device. On it is a PDF containing a parameter chart and a little app for uploading and downloading parameter files. Now, I should note you can ONLY upload and download this way. You cannot actually edit any parameters without Connected Components Workbench or RSLogix 5000 or by doing it the old fashioned way.

The parameters are a LOT different than the rest of the Powerflex family, but the scrolling LED display helps clear up a lot of mysteries. Instead of "F07" it actually tells you what the fault is. Very cool.

What I didn't like:

The control module is VERY difficult to remove. You feel like you're going to break the drive because it requires so much force to pull it off.

The control module still has the control wiring terminals on it. This makes no sense to me. The whole point of having the fancy, removable USB powered control module was so that you could give the drive to the maintenance guy and he could wire it up while you program it. It's "Here, take this and wire SOME of these wires up, and then I'll come and wire the rest up" instead of "here, take this and wire the drive up, and then I'll come in and plug the module in and we're good to go. I can't think of a single reason why ANY wires need to be on the control module. It almost negates any advantage to it at all.

The drive faults out whenever the safe torque off terminals are interrupted. And it's a non-recoverable fault so it can't be reset via Ethernet. I'm sure there were legal reasons for this, but what is the point in having an Ethernet drive if you still have to either go to it and physically reset it when someone hits the E-Stop or physically wire in a Reset button (if that would even work)?

Overall, I think this drive is a decent replacement for the 4/40 series. The good outweighs the bad and it's definitely worth switching to. But there are still some annoyances. I definitely wouldn't use the safe torque off unless the application needed it.

Last edited:
Factorytalk,
T-105 Safety Fault-
I set this to 0 (disable)-you can send reset over ethernet and it works.
If STO contacts are open drive will still fault out, but it's recoverable.
Not sure if this is best practice but works for me.

Factorytalk,
T-105 Safety Fault-
I set this to 0 (disable)-you can send reset over ethernet and it works.
If STO contacts are open drive will still fault out, but it's recoverable.
Not sure if this is best practice but works for me.

I'm looking in the manual and it looks like 0 is the default setting (FaultEnable), and 1 Disables the Fault.

Last edited:
The safe torque off should trigger fault 59 - safety open. This fault is resettable over ethernet without changing any other parameters. Both channels have to be broken at the same time and you should use the S+ terminal on the drive to avoid safety hardware faults.

I use the drive in this manner and have no issues. I also have my reset run through the NC relay contact for a reset interlock.

Disabling t105 should not require any reset of the drive at all. I have used this as well.

I agree with factorytalk that the control module is very difficult to remove. After the first removal it is much easier. I find the terminals on the control module a pain as well. Removable terminals would have been nice.

Last edited:
Since we're talking 525's I saw some behavior in regards to Factory Talk SE I've not seen. The Diagnostic status window on my SE app keeps warning me that IP xxx.xxx.xxx.155 which is the 525 comm's were reset by peer. I see no dropouts of comms in Logix5000, and I'm not even talking to the 525 in RSEnterprise setup on SE...although it shows up as a ? in the available devices tree, even though the EDS has been uploaded and Linx and Logix show it correctly.

Just curious if anyone knows what could cause this? I'm anal and like to keep the diagnostic status window in SE free and clear of nuisance ****.

The safe torque off should trigger fault 59 - safety open. This fault is resettable over ethernet without changing any other parameters.

Curious, because I tried to reset it over ethernet multiple times and the fault 59 would not go away on any of the three drives I had connected. Yet I was able to reset them by pressing the stop button on the drives. Is there a parameter that makes it a non-resettable fault over ethernet? I couldn't find out in the manual.