DirectSOFT 6 for A/B Dummies

Thank you. I will have a look at the ini file after I get through adding more address comments.

Do you have any "compare and contrast" for A/B guys when it comes to editing ladder (online if possible) when applied to the DL06? I have not even edited the ladder offline yet. I think I will "play around" with one of the sample programs offline to get accustomed to the editor window, but I expect drastic differences in how it works for making run time changes compared to RSLogix. I did scan the DL06 manual but have not found anything on the subject yet. I need to come up with the right search terms.

EDIT: I just found the help section on Edit Mode in the DirectSOFT help.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
CTRL + Arrow keys draws Ladder.
CTRL + SHFT + Arrow keys deletes Ladder.
SHFT + Arrow keys selects ladder.
SPACE opens existing ladder for editing without changing anything, so that you can tab through the editor.
Start typing anywhere in the ladder to enter a contact or output.
/ (forward slash) toggles NO and NC contacts (it toggles compares as well), and it is also used to toggle between an OUT coil and an OUT box.
F6 is you Box browser.
F8 is "Accept".
SHFT + F9 is Save to PLC.
F2 is NO contact.
SHFT + F2 Is rising edge.
SHFT + F3 is falling edge.

These are the main ones that I use.

Last edited:
You are welcome OkiePC. The Instrument mechanic training comes in handy sometimes. lol. Also I am learning more about directlogix via your thread as well.

Alrighty, I am adding more and more comments and have questions about Nicknames. Is that the equivalent of Symbols in RSlogix500? Stored offline? Can be edited at will without affecting the online ladder program? Must they all be unique within a project? What about the field called "wiring info"? and while we are at it, talk to me about "aliases" too.

Last edited:
Nicknames - must be unique within a project - don't tranfer to PLC. Don't use a nickname which can be interpreted as a valid address. When doing initial programming you can enter a nickname only if you want, the system will verify what type of data (word or bit) this is representing, and you must/can assign the nickname to a valid address later (absolutely before it will try to download to a PLC)

Wiring Info, Description - free form, no particular restrictions (possibly length)

Aliases - Just like in AB T4:0.2 is equal to T4:0.ACC - you would consider the T4:0.ACC the 'alias' - a more meaningful name for an address. TA0 (the accumulator of Timer 0) is easier to remember for its function than V0. 'VX0' is easier to remember than V40400 (the 16 bits, useable as a word, starting at X0). You can turn them off if you want. If they are on an entered address will change to its 'alias' if one is applicable. Even if they are off you can still enter addresses either way.

Last edited:
Many thanks, Bernie! Tomorrow I am heading back to the site. After studying the code for about two whole days, I think I have reached the decision to replace a big chunk of it. I may start a new thread tomorrow all about orifice plates installed in 1920 and chlorine controls. The logic as it sits appears to be a poorly band aided kludge.

I am often accused of always wanting to "rewrite everything" but in some cases...

Arrrgghhh!!!

I keep getting kicked off line. Not only that, but Directsoft freezes and 8/10 times I must reboot to get back online. I tried with a new blank file (just in case mu comments were corrupted somehow), but that did not help. I can not stay online more than ten minutes without problems.

Using Keyspan USA-19HS converter. Running windows 7 64 bit. I did try compatibility mode for XP SP3 on both DSLaunch and DirectLSOFT 6 to no avail.

Are there any tips and tricks to keep this stuff running?

I've heard of Windows power control removing power from a USB connected convertor. Go to device control for this convertor and look for a question about Windows controlling the power. Tell it NO!

It wasn't the power options. I suspect my laptop might have some issue with the USB ports or hardware problem. I have a new one that should be delivered on Tuesday anyway. The machine I have been using is slow and a little on the puny side. The bad part is that I have no Direct Logic PLC with which to test it at the shop. They are cheap enough, maybe I can talk the boss into letting me order one just for testing purposes.

Not sure if it matters, but the DL06 was firmware 1.80 if I recall correctly.

The software worked fine all day yesterday when offline, so whatever the issue, it is only happening when online, and DirectSOFT might need some work in the area of recovery from comms loss.

I was able to fumble my way through adding some new rungs, and even managed to make branches to nowhere and get them deleted. I learned a lot about the process and got more info about the ancient flow transmitter, so I have a formula to work with now and a plan of attack. I also learned that there is no online editing with that particular CPU, and that when you do a "Write to PLC" and allow the switch to program mode, that it switches back to run mode on its own. That was good in this case, but could be something to watch out for with other types of machinery controls.

So I had a 14 hour day, 5-1/2 of those hours driving, and two problems to solve. I made progress with both of them, but the problems with communication cost too much time. I will make another trip up there in about a week and try to plan for two whole days on site in case I hit some other snags. The other issue is with a USB to RS-485 Modbus adapter to the SCADA PC running Kepware and Indusoft. It connects some Hach analyzers. I got the converter to talk to the Kepware driver, but there is something wrong with the addresses being called out by the original programmer. Either the Modbus values are wrong or there is an issue with at least one of the Hach controllers settings. The plant operator was ready for the weekend by the time I got that far, so we agreed to call it a day and come back to finish it later.

The main problem with the chlorine ratio to flow rate... I was well on my way to implementing my changes and found that the analog input card was out of whack. 4mA = 55 BCD, 18.8Ma = 4095 BCD (brand new fluke calibrator as the source). So, the range of the input has degraded to a range of 3.78mA to 18.8mA. That is not normal in my experience with any controller, so rather than fudge my numbers in the PLC, we ordered 2 new analog modules. I have yet to run across any of these water plant operators who keep any spares on hand. I don't understand how they expect to get away with this.

Happy Friday the 13th!

Last edited:
Make sure you get the latest DirectSoft6, it's available as a download from AD's website. There was a problem with comms, so they got an update rolled out this week.

Something to be aware of

I also learned that there is no online editing with that particular CPU, and that when you do a "Write to PLC" and allow the switch to program mode, that it switches back to run mode on its own. That was good in this case, but could be something to watch out for with other types of machinery controls.

From the manual:

The DL06 Micro PLC allows you to make changes to the application program during Run
Mode. These edits are not “bumpless.” Instead, CPU scan is momentarily interrupted (and
the outputs are maintained in their current state) until the program change is complete. This
means if the output is off, it will remain off until the program change is complete. If the
output is on, it will remain on.

The analog output was the only thing "on" at the time of my updates (slot 1) and it did go to zero during my "bumps". I was prepared for it though, and the duration of interruptions were brief and not dangerous to the process. Twice though, the comms locked up during this transfer and I had to cycle the mode switch on the processor to put it back in run mode while I rebooted my laptop.

I did not look deep enough into the books to understand how analog and expansion I/O are affected by the mode change, but I was ready to switch the chlorine controller into manual mode if necessary.

My main issue was not with my novice level aptitude with Direct Logic PLCs and software, but with the communication causing lock-ups. If there are no other corroborating stories like mine, I will go with my theory that my old worn out Samsung laptop has some hardware issue. The first time I used it's LAN connection I had problems, and I have frequently had the little wireless mouse dongle freeze and refuse to connect to kb/mouse. It was inherited and spent many hours on bumpy roads clamped in a computer mount in a Ford Super Duty truck. There is probably a crack in a connector or motherboard at the root of my woes.

Last edited:
In the many dozens of DL-series PLCs I've used, I have never, ever had an issue with lock-ups, or any communication issues for that matter. It just works! Although, I do have a real serial port on my laptop, and also haven't upgraded to DS6 yet either.

I would take jawolthuis's suggestion and make sure you have the most current build.

🍻

-Eric