Updating EDS files

Bit_Bucket_07

I am working on a small project that involves a 1769-L16ER-BB1B PLC controlling a Powerflex 700H-E variable frequency drive over Ethernet. My client already has an existing system in operation, and they have asked me to basically duplicate the functionality of the existing program for the new mill installation.

So, I have created an offline program in which I added the drive to my IO tree. All of the tags for the drive were created in the process. I noticed, however, when looking at the existing program, that it contains at least two Input tags for the drive that don't exist in my offline program. They are VFD1:I.OutputCurrent and VFD1:I.OutputVoltage. I need to access these variables for display on my HMI. I assume that they are missing because an out of date version of the EDS file for the drive was employed when I added the drive in offline mode.

I know that I can use RS Linx to upload the EDS file from the drive when I get on-site, but will doing so modify my existing IO configuration, or do I need to delete the drive from my program altogether and then add it back after uploading the EDS file from the drive?

The issue is the configuration of the DataLinks, rather than the EDS file or drive Add-On Profile.

In your Studio 5000 project, go into the PowerFlex 700H object in the I/O tree and look at the Module Definition section. Click on that "Change" button.

You want to select the "Parameters via DataLinks" connection type.

You'll have to enable DataLink A, and then select the Output Current and Output Voltage from the pull-down lists on the Input Data side.

Studio 5000 will then create a new Data Type that has those named sub-elements in it, and switch your AC drive object to using that new Data Type.

For kicks, go into the Data Types folder and look at the two different drive-related data types. The original one created by default will just have the discrete command/status and the reference/feedback. The new one will have the .OutputCurrent and .OutputVoltage named elements.

The issue is the configuration of the DataLinks, rather than the EDS file or drive Add-On Profile.

In your Studio 5000 project, go into the PowerFlex 700H object in the I/O tree and look at the Module Definition section. Click on that "Change" button.

You want to select the "Parameters via DataLinks" connection type.

You'll have to enable DataLink A, and then select the Output Current and Output Voltage from the pull-down lists on the Input Data side.

Studio 5000 will then create a new Data Type that has those named sub-elements in it, and switch your AC drive object to using that new Data Type.

For kicks, go into the Data Types folder and look at the two different drive-related data types. The original one created by default will just have the discrete command/status and the reference/feedback. The new one will have the .OutputCurrent and .OutputVoltage named elements.

I've been away for a while. Thanks for the prompt response!