How can I keep track of every button pressed in my client runtime in FT view SE?

jmor

I'm fairly new in PLC programming and I am struggling in this particular task.
I haven't seen a direct response to this question, neither a mention in someone else's post.

What I am trying to do is:
To be able to see what the operators at the factory are clicking at in the client.

The cleanest way would be to add on FT Transaction manager and use a database. You can setup the Transaction manager to detect events and then log a record in the database.

Another simple way I have seen it done is to use a VBA routine to write to a flat text file the time/date and tag set. But you will have to add a exec of a VBA function and pass it the tag.

You may be able to use the Event system somehow but someone else will have to chime in on that.

Another possibility may be to make each button an alarm and use the alarm filter to show button presses. But each button would have to associated to a tag that gets set to cause the alarm.

Last edited:
I did hear a rumour that the latest version of FTView included full audit capability i.e. logging each and every action if that's what you wanted. I've not followed it up or tried it out, but potentially worth looking into - if it's a choice between developing your own and upgrading to a new version that does it for you, the upgrade cost would pale into insignificance beside the cost of custom development.

I use FT Diagnotics, logging to an ODBC (SQL for me) server, with all the messaging options turned on. Currently tracking about sixty workstations, each one has to be configured.

I use FT Diagnotics, logging to an ODBC (SQL for me) server, with all the messaging options turned on. Currently tracking about sixty workstations, each one has to be configured.

FT Diagnostics is one of the best features in FT View. Every version of FT View has that built in.
Using the ODBC database is optional; the messages are always logged to the local computer. You can view them in Window Event Viewer.

Read the help files on diagnostics setup and turn on all the messages for the local log.

What I am trying to do is:
To be able to see what the operators at the factory are clicking at in the client.
The diagnostics log will record all the tag writes, and the tag name.
But it will not record mouse clicks.