OPC UA Server backward compatible with OPC DA Client?

harryting

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm trying to save myself some modbus mapping here...

So, can I use an existing OPC Client that talks to an Kepware OPC server to talk with a OPC UA server (Redlion Edge)?

The answer is that it is unlikely. It may be that your Client software ALSO supports UA in addition to DA, but it would be separate code doing each protocol.

The protocols come from the same group, but think of it like Modbus RTU and Modbus TCP coming from the same group. They're not completely different, but they aren't plug and play compatible.

You could use the OPC UA Client Driver in KEPServerEX to connect to a UA Server and then get the data from KEPServer with the Existing DA Client. If you are using ClientAce from Kepware and you are on V4.0 of it then you can configure it to do a UA or DA connection to a server.