Panelview Plus Fatal Error 3b

marcwand

Hey Guys,

I have a brand new Panelview Plus 1500 Touch straight out of the box. When I plugged it in and connected it up with an older RP2 logic module, the project loads up fine, but after about 10 seconds it gives me the hand crossed out symbol like you get when you boot up a panelview after a download and you try to touch the buttons before the project is fully loaded and running. This symbol comes on by itself however, and does not go away.

So I tried a newer logic module - RP8D.. brand new out of the box. When I try this one, the panelview goes through it's boot checks, and fails on a Fatal 3b error.

The information I find on the net tells me that a Fatal 3b error is a failed backlight...?! This is not the case at all.

Could I have a brand new, but faulty screen? I am asking because even though I am quite experienced with panelviews, I have not seen this before.

Thanks in advance.

I don't know anything about that specific error, but I do know that it's not unheard of for a brand new part to not work right out of the box. Not the most common problem, but not one you can dismiss altogether either.

You're mixing old and new components; display modules and logic modules.

Error 3b occurs when you replace an older compact-fluorescent Display Module with one of the new LED backlight ones.

Post the details about the part number, series, and revisions and folks on the Forum can help you search the RA Knowledgebase for information on compatibility of your components.

Thanks for your replies gents!!

Yes, I do realize that I could have provided more information in my original post. I had already searched google, this forum, and RA Knowledgebase, but did not obviously come across anything that pointed me towards new style LED backlit displays needing a certain firmware revision/series of logic module!! I will look more specifically for that now.

This concerns me as I have dozens of Panelview Plus out on the floor of all ages and sizes.. I need to ensure I have compatible spares!!

In an effort to collate the information for anyone that stumbles across this thread, these are the model numbers and revisions that I have used, along with what happened when they were connected -

Panelview Screen - 2711-PRDT15C Series C (Colour/Touch)

Logic Modules - 2711P-RP2 Series G FW 5.10 / 2711P-RP8D Series A FW 6.10

When I connected the new screen to the RP2 logic module, the display started up fine. I was able to proceed through the touch calibration sequence and load the project. The project started up fine and communications were established, however after about 10 seconds of the project running, a crossed out hand symbol would appear (busy) and would not go away.

When I then connected the new screen to the RP8D logic module, the panelview would not pass the initial bootup sequence - faulting on the "Fatal 3b" error. Interestingly enough when I bench tested this again with this logic module I got a "Fatal 3A" error. It will either fault on 3A or 3B.

Knowledgebase Articles on this subject -

Article laying out the minimum Factory Talk View Studio ME Firmware Versions that can be used with an LED Screen -

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/581110
(although this manual seems to suggest that FTView ME 5.10.11 is compatible)

This manual shows that you need a minimum firmware version of 7.00.20 for use with Series C displays.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/in/2711p-in030_-en-p.pdf

Thank you Ken for pointing me in the right direction.

I anticipate all will be well once I finish upgrading the firmware on the logic module. 🍻