1747-uic slc usb to dh-485 converter

qwemx

I am in trouble right now
I have a Allen Bradley PLC SLC 05/03 cpu which i need to connect to find out the cause of RED light flashing
but I do not have the connector
1747-UIC SLC USB TO DH-485 CONVERTER

But i have a serial to USB converter , is it possible to connect it by by making a cable on my own and what should be the pin configuration for that .Thank you

It can work with the SLC's serial port using a null-modem cable.

Not all USB to serial adapters work (fingers crossed). The port (SLC's port)needs to be configured for DF1 protocol. (is it?) Then use the DF1 driver in RSLinx.

Pin 2 to 3
Pin 3 to 2
Pin 5 to 5

A USB to serial adapter will not work on the DH485 port.

I can connect to a SLC-5/03 with an AXE027 cable

((??? 3.5mm jack plug cable?? )) you can not connect to a 5/03 with that cable, I 5/03 has a DB9 and RJ45 it does not have a 3.5 jack ??

See Mickey's post and use that cable for the DB9 or use a UIC for the RJ45

where do you connect the non usb end of this cable ?
I didn't mean to imply that I connect 'directly' to the SLC with it, just adding to Mickey's statement that it is 'iffy' which usb/serial adapters will work.:oops:
(some usb/serial adapters RX/TX idle the wrong polarity - ftdi allow inverting polarity with FTProg.)
I have a 3.5mm jack that I break out to the SLC.
Tip to pin 5
Rings 1 and 2 to pins 2 and 3 (2/3 may need to be swapped - I tried to ring with ohmmeter )

((??? 3.5mm jack plug cable?? )) you can not connect to a 5/03 with that cable, I 5/03 has a DB9 and RJ45 it does not have a 3.5 jack ??

See Mickey's post and use that cable for the DB9 or use a UIC for the RJ45

genius, you are too fast this morning. look down one post.

I use the following USB to serial adapter

Keyspan High-Speed USB to Serial Adapter USA19HS
https://www.tripplite.com/keyspan-high-speed-usb-to-serial-adapter~USA19HS
Have used these for years on AB stuff with no issues.

Use null modem cable (as mentioned) to the SLC serial port and the setup in the photo.

Your baud rate may be different
use the auto configure button if the parameters are unknown

(This setup work only if the SLC serial port is setup for DF1 Full Duplex.)

rs232.jpg

1747-UIC requires a windows driver to be installed to use it
the it will show up in Windows Device Manager
You can download the driver for free.
It is my understanding the drive is not supported in Windows 7 , Windows 8, or Windows 10
you can use other RS232 to DH485 Converters with different cabeling